Composite materials formed with anchored nanostructures
A method of forming nano-structure composite materials that have a binder material and a nanostructure fiber material is described. A precursor material may be formed using a mixture of at least one metal powder and anchored nanostructure materials. The metal powder mixture may be (a) Ni powder and (b) NiAl powder. The anchored nanostructure materials may comprise (i) NiAl powder as a support material and (ii) carbon nanotubes attached to nanoparticles adjacent to a surface of the support material. The process of forming nano-structure composite materials typically involves sintering the mixture under vacuum in a die. When Ni and NiAl are used in the metal powder mixture Ni.sub.3Al may form as the binder material after sintering. The mixture is sintered until it consolidates to form the nano-structure composite material.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Consolidated Nuclear Security, LLC (Reston, VA) Y-12
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2010 Feb 12
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:Principles and applications of CVD powder technology
journal, July 2006
- Vahlas, Constantin; Caussat, Brigitte; Serp, Philippe
- Materials Science and Engineering: R: Reports, Vol. 53, Issue 1-2, p. 1-72
The growth mode change in carbon nanotube synthesis in plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition
journal, April 2004
- Song, I. K.; Cho, Y. S.; Choi, G. S.
- Diamond and Related Materials, Vol. 13, Issue 4-8, p. 1210-1213
Carbon nanotube growth mechanism switches from tip- to base-growth with decreasing catalyst particle size
journal, August 2008
- Gohier, A.; Ewels, C. P.; Minea, T. M.
- Carbon, Vol. 46, Issue 10, p. 1331-1338
Characterization and compression properties of injection molded carbon nanotube composites
journal, January 2008
- Curtzwiler, G.; Singh, J.; Miltz, J.
- Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 109, Issue 1, p. 218-225
An Approach to Obtaining Homogeneously Dispersed Carbon Nanotubes in Al Powders for Preparing Reinforced Al-Matrix Composites
journal, April 2007
- He, C.; Zhao, N.; Shi, C.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 19, Issue 8, p. 1128-1132
Laser-deposited carbon nanotube reinforced nickel matrix composites
journal, September 2008
- Hwang, J. Y.; Neira, A.; Scharf, T. W.
- Scripta Materialia, Vol. 59, Issue 5, p. 487-490
Tribological application of carbon nanotubes in a metal-based composite coating and composites
journal, February 2003
- Chen, W. X.; Tu, J. P.; Wang, L. Y.
- Carbon, Vol. 41, Issue 2, p. 215-222
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: