Methods of forming boron nitride
A method of forming a boron nitride. The method comprises contacting a metal article with a monomeric boron-nitrogen compound and converting the monomeric boron-nitrogen compound to a boron nitride. The boron nitride is formed on the same or a different metal article. The monomeric boron-nitrogen compound is borazine, cycloborazane, trimethylcycloborazane, polyborazylene, B-vinylborazine, poly(B-vinylborazine), or combinations thereof. The monomeric boron-nitrogen compound is polymerized to form the boron nitride by exposure to a temperature greater than approximately 100.degree. C. The boron nitride is amorphous boron nitride, hexagonal boron nitride, rhombohedral boron nitride, turbostratic boron nitride, wurzite boron nitride, combinations thereof, or boron nitride and carbon. A method of conditioning a ballistic weapon and a metal article coated with the monomeric boron-nitrogen compound are also disclosed.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- U.S. Department of Energy (Washington, DC) IDO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2008 Apr 01
- Research Org:
- Idaho National Lab. (INL), Idaho Falls, ID (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:Experience with boron-carbide coated target tiles in JET
journal, May 1993
- Coad, J. P.; Farmery, B.; Linke, J.
- Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 200, Issue 3, p. 389-394
Studies of Boron-Nitrogen Compounds. III. Preparation and Properties of Hexahydroborazole, B3N3H12
journal, July 1961
- Dahl, Gerd H.; Schaeffer, Riley
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 83, Issue 14, p. 3032-3034
Studies of Boron-Nitrogen Compounds. V. Two Isomers of 1,3,5-Trimethylcycloborazane
journal, February 1963
- Gaines, Donald F.; Schaeffer, Riley.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 85, Issue 4, p. 395-397
Ab Initio Study of the Isoelectronic Molecules BCN, BNC, and C3 Including Anharmonicity
journal, June 1994
- Martin, Jan M. L.; Taylor, Peter R.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 98, Issue 24, p. 6105-6109
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: