Engineering of thermotolerant Bacillus coagulans for production of D(-)-lactic acid
Genetically modified microorganisms having the ability to produce D(-)-lactic acid at temperatures between 30.degree. C. and 55.degree. C. are provided. In various embodiments, the microorganisms may have the chromosomal lactate dehydrogenase (ldh) gene and/or the chromosomal acetolactate synthase (alsS) gene inactivated. Exemplary microorganisms for use in the disclosed methods are Bacillus spp., such as Bacillus coagulans.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- University of Florida Research Foundation, Inc. (Gainesville, FL) GFO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2011 Nov 22
- Research Org:
- University of Florida Research Foundation, Inc., Gainesville, FL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES; 60 APPLIED LIFE SCIENCES; 54 ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:Production of chemicals from lignocellulose, biomass or sugars
patent, August 2006
- Shanmugam, Keelnatham; Ingram, Lonnie; Patel, Milind
- US Patent Document 7,098,009
Engineered microorganisms for increasing product yield in biotransformations, related methods and systems
patent-application, November 2008
- Peters, Matthew W.; Meinhold, Peter; Buelter, Thomas
- US Patent Application \t11/881748; 20080293101
Modified Microorganisms with Inactivated Lactate Dehydrogenase Gene
patent-application, August 2009
- Atkinson, Anthony; Cripps, Roger; Thompson, Ann
- US Patent Application \t11/915930; 20090197314
Metabolic Flux Control at the Pyruvate Node in an Anaerobic Escherichia coli Strain with an Active Pyruvate Dehydrogenase
journal, January 2010
- Wang, Q.; Ou, M. S.; Kim, Y.
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Vol. 76, Issue 7, p. 2107-2114
Developments in Directed Evolution for Improving Enzyme Functions
journal, August 2007
- Sen, S.; Venkata Dasu, V.; Mandal, B.
- Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Vol. 143, Issue 3, p. 212-223
Semi-rational approaches to engineering enzyme activity: combining the benefits of directed evolution and rational design
journal, August 2005
- Chica, Roberto A.; Doucet, Nicolas; Pelletier, Joelle N.
- Current Opinion in Biotechnology, Vol. 16, Issue 4, p. 378-384
Metabolic Engineering of Bacillus subtilis for Ethanol Production: Lactate Dehydrogenase Plays a Key Role in Fermentative Metabolism
journal, June 2007
- Romero, S.; Merino, E.; Bolivar, F.
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Vol. 73, Issue 16, p. 5190-5198
One-step production of lactate from cellulose as the sole carbon source without any other organic nutrient by recombinant cellulolytic Bacillus subtilis
journal, July 2011
- Zhang, Xiao-Zhou; Sathitsuksanoh, Noppadon; Zhu, Zhiguang
- Metabolic Engineering, Vol. 13, Issue 4, p. 364-372
Evolution of D-lactate dehydrogenase activity from glycerol dehydrogenase and its utility for D-lactate production from lignocellulose
journal, November 2011
- Wang, Q.; Ingram, L. O.; Shanmugam, K. T.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 108, Issue 47, p. 18920-18925
Lactic acid: recent advances in products, processes and technologies — a review
journal, January 2006
- Datta, Rathin; Henry, Michael
- Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology, Vol. 81, Issue 7, p. 1119-1129
Factors affecting the fermentative lactic acid production from renewable resources
journal, February 2000
- Hofvendahl, Karin; Hahn–Hägerdal, Bärbel
- Enzyme and Microbial Technology, Vol. 26, Issue 2-4, p. 87-107
Construction of an Escherichia coli K-12 Mutant for Homoethanologenic Fermentation of Glucose or Xylose without Foreign Genes
journal, January 2007
- Kim, Y.; Ingram, L. O.; Shanmugam, K. T.
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Vol. 73, Issue 6, p. 1766-1771
Dihydrolipoamide Dehydrogenase Mutation Alters the NADH Sensitivity of Pyruvate Dehydrogenase Complex of Escherichia coli K-12
journal, March 2008
- Kim, Y.; Ingram, L. O.; Shanmugam, K. T.
- Journal of Bacteriology, Vol. 190, Issue 11, p. 3851-3858
Improved Production of Homo-D-Lactic Acid via Xylose Fermentation by Introduction of Xylose Assimilation Genes and Redirection of the Phosphoketolase Pathway to the Pentose Phosphate Pathway in L-Lactate Dehydrogenase Gene-Deficient Lactobacillus plantarum
journal, October 2009
- Okano, K.; Yoshida, S.; Yamada, R.
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Vol. 75, Issue 24, p. 7858-7861
Isolation and Characterization of Acid-Tolerant, Thermophilic Bacteria for Effective Fermentation of Biomass-Derived Sugars to Lactic Acid
journal, May 2006
- Patel, M. A.; Ou, M. S.; Harbrucker, R.
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Vol. 72, Issue 5, p. 3228-3235
Lactic acid production by Bacillus coagulans—kinetic studies and optimization of culture medium for batch and continuous fermentations
journal, December 1998
- Payot, T.; Chemaly, Z.; Fick, M.
- Enzyme and Microbial Technology, Vol. 24, Issue 3-4, p. 191-199
Genetic Changes To Optimize Carbon Partitioning between Ethanol and Biosynthesis in Ethanologenic Escherichia coli
journal, December 2002
- Underwood, S. A.; Zhou, S.; Causey, T. B.
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Vol. 68, Issue 12, p. 6263-6272
Functional Replacement of the Escherichia coliD-(-)-Lactate Dehydrogenase Gene (ldhA) with the L-(+)-Lactate Dehydrogenase Gene (ldhL) from Pediococcus acidilactici
journal, April 2003
- Zhou, S.; Shanmugam, K. T.; Ingram, L. O.
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Vol. 69, Issue 4, p. 2237-2244
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: