Porous platinum-based catalysts for oxygen reduction
A porous metal that comprises platinum and has a specific surface area that is greater than 5 m.sup.2/g and less than 75 m.sup.2/g. A fuel cell includes a first electrode, a second electrode spaced apart from the first electrode, and an electrolyte arranged between the first and the second electrodes. At least one of the first and second electrodes is coated with a porous metal catalyst for oxygen reduction, and the porous metal catalyst comprises platinum and has a specific surface area that is greater than 5 m.sup.2/g and less than 75 m.sup.2/g. A method of producing a porous metal according to an embodiment of the current invention includes producing an alloy consisting essentially of platinum and nickel according to the formula Pt.sub.xNi.sub.1-x, where x is at least 0.01 and less than 0.3; and dealloying the alloy in a substantially pH neutral solution to reduce an amount of nickel in the alloy to produce the porous metal.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:Pt-, PtNi- and PtCo-supported catalysts for oxygen reduction in PEM fuel cells
journal, October 2006
- Travitsky, N.; Ripenbein, T.; Golodnitsky, D.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 161, Issue 2, p. 782-789
Platinum Monolayer Fuel Cell Electrocatalysts
journal, November 2007
- Adzic, R. R.; Zhang, J.; Sasaki, K.
- Topics in Catalysis, Vol. 46, Issue 3-4, p. 249-262
Evolution of nanoporosity in dealloying
journal, March 2001
- Erlebacher, Jonah; Aziz, Michael J.; Karma, Alain
- Nature, Vol. 410, Issue 6827, p. 450-453
Developing the self-contained hydrogen reference electrode
journal, October 1997
- Gong, Silin; Lu, Juntao; Yan, Heqing
- Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Vol. 436, Issue 1-2, p. 291-293
Pd-Pt Bimetallic Nanodendrites with High Activity for Oxygen Reduction
journal, May 2009
- Lim, B.; Jiang, M.; Camargo, P. H. C.
- Science, Vol. 324, Issue 5932, p. 1302-1305
A review of anode catalysis in the direct methanol fuel cell
journal, April 2006
- Liu, Hansan; Song, Chaojie; Zhang, Lei
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 155, Issue 2, p. 95-110
Dealloyed Pt−Cu Core−Shell Nanoparticle Electrocatalysts for Use in PEM Fuel Cell Cathodes
journal, February 2008
- Mani, Prasanna; Srivastava, Ratndeep; Strasser, Peter
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Vol. 112, Issue 7, p. 2770-2778
Oxygen Reduction on Platinum Low-Index Single-Crystal Surfaces in Sulfuric Acid Solution: Rotating Ring-Pt(hkl) Disk Studies
journal, March 1995
- Markovic, Nenad M.; Gasteiger, Hubert A.; Ross, Philip N.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 99, Issue 11, p. 3411-3415
Oxygen reduction on high surface area Pt-based alloy catalysts in comparison to well defined smooth bulk alloy electrodes
journal, August 2002
- Paulus, U. A.; Wokaun, A.; Scherer, G. G.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 47, Issue 22-23, p. 3787-3798
Improved Oxygen Reduction Activity on Pt3Ni(111) via Increased Surface Site Availability
journal, January 2007
- Stamenkovic, V. R.; Fowler, B.; Mun, B. S.
- Science, Vol. 315, Issue 5811, p. 493-497
Stabilization of Platinum Oxygen-Reduction Electrocatalysts Using Gold Clusters
journal, January 2007
- Zhang, J.; Sasaki, K.; Sutter, E.
- Science, Vol. 315, Issue 5809, p. 220-222
The influence of surface facetting upon molecular oxygen electroreduction on platinum in aqueous solutions
journal, August 1994
- Zinola, C. F.; Castro Luna, A. M.; Triaca, W. E.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 39, Issue 11-12, p. 1627-1632
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: