Stable and metastable nanowires displaying locally controllable properties
Vapor-liquid-solid growth of nanowires is tailored to achieve complex one-dimensional material geometries using phase diagrams determined for nanoscale materials. Segmented one-dimensional nanowires having constant composition display locally variable electronic band structures that are determined by the diameter of the nanowires. The unique electrical and optical properties of the segmented nanowires are exploited to form electronic and optoelectronic devices. Using gold-germanium as a model system, in situ transmission electron microscopy establishes, for nanometer-sized Au--Ge alloy drops at the tips of Ge nanowires (NWs), the parts of the phase diagram that determine their temperature-dependent equilibrium composition. The nanoscale phase diagram is then used to determine the exchange of material between the NW and the drop. The phase diagram for the nanoscale drop deviates significantly from that of the bulk alloy.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Brookhaven Science Associates, LLC (Upton, NY) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY; 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:Methods of fabricating nanostructures and nanowires and devices fabricated therefrom
patent-application, April 2008
- Majumdar, Arun; Shakouri, Ali; Sands, Timothy D.
- US Patent Application 11/645236; 20080092938
Nanowire configured to couple electromagnetic radiation to selected guided wave, devices using same, and methods of fabricating same
patent-application, October 2008
- Kamins, Theodore; Bratkovski, Alexandre
- US Patent Application 11/796011; 20080266556
Phase structure of electrodeposited alloys
journal, August 2005
- Cavallotti, P. L.; Nobili, L.; Vicenzo, A.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 50, Issue 23, p. 4557-4565
Formation of an intermediate phase in eutectic Au-Ge and Ag-Ge systems under high pressure
journal, June 1991
- Fujinaga, Y.; Kusaba, K.; Syono, Y.
- Journal of the Less Common Metals, Vol. 170, Issue 2, p. 277-286
Metastable Metallic Alloys
journal, December 1999
- Manaila, R.
- physica status solidi (a), Vol. 176, Issue 2, p. 801-834
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: