Continuous growth of single-wall carbon nanotubes using chemical vapor deposition
The invention relates to a chemical vapor deposition process for the continuous growth of a carbon single-wall nanotube where a carbon-containing gas composition is contacted with a porous membrane and decomposed in the presence of a catalyst to grow single-wall carbon nanotube material. A pressure differential exists across the porous membrane such that the pressure on one side of the membrane is less than that on the other side of the membrane. The single-wall carbon nanotube growth may occur predominately on the low-pressure side of the membrane or, in a different embodiment of the invention, may occur predominately in between the catalyst and the membrane. The invention also relates to an apparatus used with the carbon vapor deposition process.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. (Tokyo, JP) NREL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2008 Sep 23
- Research Org:
- National Renewable Energy Lab. (NREL), Golden, CO (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:Large-scale synthesis of single-wall carbon nanotubes by catalytic chemical vapor deposition (CCVD) method
journal, January 2000
- Colomer, J.-F.; Stephan, C.; Lefrant, S.
- Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 317, Issue 1-2, p. 83-89
A Simple and Complete Purification of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Materials
journal, November 1999
- Dillon, A. C.; Gennett, T.; Jones, K. M.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 11, Issue 16, p. 1354-1358
Catalytic growth of single-walled manotubes by laser vaporization
journal, September 1995
- Guo, T.; Nikolaev, P.; Thess, A.
- Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 243, Issue 1-2, p. 49-54
A scalable CVD method for the synthesis of single-walled carbon nanotubes with high catalyst productivity
journal, May 2000
- Su, Ming; Zheng, Bo; Liu, Jie
- Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 322, Issue 5, p. 321-326
Crystalline Ropes of Metallic Carbon Nanotubes
journal, July 1996
- Thess, A.; Lee, R.; Nikolaev, P.
- Science, Vol. 273, Issue 5274, p. 483-487
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: