3D and 4D magnetic susceptibility tomography based on complex MR images
Magnetic susceptibility is the physical property for T2*-weighted magnetic resonance imaging (T2*MRI). The invention relates to methods for reconstructing an internal distribution (3D map) of magnetic susceptibility values, .chi. (x,y,z), of an object, from 3D T2*MRI phase images, by using Computed Inverse Magnetic Resonance Imaging (CIMRI) tomography. The CIMRI technique solves the inverse problem of the 3D convolution by executing a 3D Total Variation (TV) regularized iterative convolution scheme, using a split Bregman iteration algorithm. The reconstruction of .chi. (x,y,z) can be designed for low-pass, band-pass, and high-pass features by using a convolution kernel that is modified from the standard dipole kernel. Multiple reconstructions can be implemented in parallel, and averaging the reconstructions can suppress noise. 4D dynamic magnetic susceptibility tomography can be implemented by reconstructing a 3D susceptibility volume from a 3D phase volume by performing 3D CIMRI magnetic susceptibility tomography at each snapshot time.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- STC.UNM (Albuquerque, NM) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2012 Jun 18
- Research Org:
- STC.UNM, Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 47 OTHER INSTRUMENTATION
Other works cited in this record:Two pitfalls of BOLD fMRI magnitude-based neuroimage analysis: Non-negativity and edge effect
journal, August 2011
- Chen, Zikuan; Calhoun, Vince D.
- Journal of Neuroscience Methods, Vol. 199, Issue 2, p. 363-369
Quantitative susceptibility mapping of human brain reflects spatial variation in tissue composition
journal, April 2011
- Li, Wei; Wu, Bing; Liu, Chunlei
- NeuroImage, Vol. 55, Issue 4, p. 1645-1656
Functional brain mapping by blood oxygenation level-dependent contrast magnetic resonance imaging. A comparison of signal characteristics with a biophysical model
journal, March 1993
- Ogawa, S.; Menon, R. S.; Tank, D. W.
- Biophysical Journal, Vol. 64, Issue 3, p. 803-812
Quantitative imaging of intrinsic magnetic tissue properties using MRI signal phase: An approach to in vivo brain iron metabolism?
journal, February 2011
- Schweser, Ferdinand; Deistung, Andreas; Lehr, Berengar Wendel
- NeuroImage, Vol. 54, Issue 4, p. 2789-2807
Susceptibility phase imaging with comparison to R2* mapping of iron-rich deep grey matter
journal, July 2011
- Walsh, Andrew J.; Wilman, Alan H.
- NeuroImage, Vol. 57, Issue 2, p. 452-461
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: