Metabolic evolution of Escherichia coli strains that produce organic acids
This invention relates to the metabolic evolution of a microbial organism previously optimized for producing an organic acid in commercially significant quantities under fermentative conditions using a hexose sugar as sole source of carbon in a minimal mineral medium. As a result of this metabolic evolution, the microbial organism acquires the ability to use pentose sugars derived from cellulosic materials for its growth while retaining the original growth kinetics, the rate of organic acid production and the ability to use hexose sugars as a source of carbon. This invention also discloses the genetic change in the microorganism that confers the ability to use both the hexose and pentose sugars simultaneously in the production of commercially significant quantities of organic acids.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Myriant Corporation (Quincy, MA) DOEEE
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2010 Nov 17
- Research Org:
- Myriant Corporation, Quincy, MA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 60 APPLIED LIFE SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:Metabolic evolution of energy-conserving pathways for succinate production in Escherichia coli
journal, November 2009
- Zhang, X.; Jantama, K.; Moore, J. C.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 106, Issue 48, p. 20180-20185
Altered Glucose Transport and Shikimate Pathway Product Yields in E. coli
journal, October 2003
- Yi, J.; Draths, K.M.; Li, K.
- Biotechnology Progress, Vol. 19, Issue 5, p. 1450-1459
Comparative studies of Escherichia coli strains using different glucose uptake systems: Metabolism and energetics
journal, December 1997
- Chen, Ruizhen; Yap, Wyanda M. G. J.; Postma, Pieter W.
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 56, Issue 5, p. 583-590
An in vivo , label-free quick assay for xylose transport in Escherichia coli
journal, July 2009
- Chen, Tingjian; Zhang, Jingqing; Liang, Ling
- Analytical Biochemistry, Vol. 390, Issue 1, p. 63-67
Analysis of NADPH supply during xylitol production by engineered Escherichia coli
journal, January 2009
- Chin, Jonathan W.; Khankal, Reza; Monroe, Caroline A.
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 102, Issue 1, p. 209-220
Engineering Escherichia coli for xylitol production from glucose-xylose mixtures
journal, December 2006
- Cirino, Patrick C.; Chin, Jonathan W.; Ingram, Lonnie O.
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 95, Issue 6, p. 1167-1176
Engineering Escherichia coli for efficient conversion of glucose to pyruvate
journal, February 2004
- Causey, T. B.; Shanmugam, K. T.; Yomano, L. P.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 101, Issue 8, p. 2235-2240
Replacement of the glucose phosphotransferase transport system by galactose permease reduces acetate accumulation and improves process performance of Escherichia coli for recombinant protein production without impairment of growth rate
journal, May 2006
- De Anda, Ramón; Lara, Alvaro R.; Hernández, Vanessa
- Metabolic Engineering, Vol. 8, Issue 3, p. 281-290
The mechanisms of carbon catabolite repression in bacteria
journal, April 2008
- Deutscher, Josef
- Current Opinion in Microbiology, Vol. 11, Issue 2, p. 87-93
Combining metabolic engineering and metabolic evolution to develop nonrecombinant strains of Escherichia coli C that produce succinate and malate
journal, January 2008
- Jantama, Kaemwich; Haupt, M. J.; Svoronos, Spyros A.
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 99, Issue 5, p. 1140-1153
Role of xylose transporters in xylitol production from engineered Escherichia coli
journal, April 2008
- Khankal, R.; Chin, J.; Cirino, P.
- Journal of Biotechnology, Vol. 134, Issue 3-4, p. 246-252
Construction of an Escherichia coli K-12 Mutant for Homoethanologenic Fermentation of Glucose or Xylose without Foreign Genes
journal, January 2007
- Kim, Y.; Ingram, L. O.; Shanmugam, K. T.
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Vol. 73, Issue 6, p. 1766-1771
Evolutionary engineering of mixed-sugar utilization by a xylose-fermenting strain
journal, July 2005
- Kuyper, Marko; Toirkens, Maurice; Diderich, Jasper
- FEMS Yeast Research, Vol. 5, Issue 10, p. 925-934
Specific spin labelling of the sugar-H+ symporter, GalP, in cell membranes of Escherichia coli: site mobility and overall rotational diffusion of the protein
journal, February 2001
- Marsh, Derek; Henderson, Peter J. F.
- Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Biomembranes, Vol. 1510, Issue 1-2, p. 464-473
Use of catabolite repression mutants for fermentation of sugar mixtures to ethanol
journal, July 2001
- Nichols, N.; Dien, B.; Bothast, R.
- Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, Vol. 56, Issue 1-2, p. 120-125
Repression of galP, the galactose transporter in Escherichia coli, requires the specific regulator of N-acetylglucosamine metabolism
journal, January 2009
- El Qaidi, Samir; Allemand, Frédéric; Oberto, Jacques
- Molecular Microbiology, Vol. 71, Issue 1, p. 146-157
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: