Nanocrystal assembly for tandem catalysis
The present invention provides a nanocrystal tandem catalyst comprising at least two metal-metal oxide interfaces for the catalysis of sequential reactions. One embodiment utilizes a nanocrystal bilayer structure formed by assembling sub-10 nm platinum and cerium oxide nanocube monolayers on a silica substrate. The two distinct metal-metal oxide interfaces, CeO.sub.2--Pt and Pt--SiO.sub.2, can be used to catalyze two distinct sequential reactions. The CeO.sub.2--Pt interface catalyzed methanol decomposition to produce CO and H.sub.2, which were then subsequently used for ethylene hydroformylation catalyzed by the nearby Pt--SiO.sub.2 interface. Consequently, propanal was selectively produced on this nanocrystal bilayer tandem catalyst.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The Regents of the University of California (Oakland, CA) LBNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2012 Apr 06
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:Concurrent Tandem Catalysis
journal, March 2005
- Wasilke, Julia-Christina; Obrey, Stephen J.; Baker, R. Tom
- Chemical Reviews, Vol. 105, Issue 3, p. 1001-1020
Transition-metal nanocluster stabilization for catalysis: A critical review of ranking methods and putative stabilizers
journal, May 2007
- Ott, Lisa Starkey; Finke, Richard G.
- Coordination Chemistry Reviews, Vol. 251, Issue 9-10, p. 1075-1100
Advancing the Frontiers in Nanocatalysis, Biointerfaces, and Renewable Energy Conversion by Innovations of Surface Techniques
journal, November 2009
- Somorjai, Gabor A.; Frei, Heinz; Park, Jeong Y.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 131, Issue 46, p. 16589-16605
Shape and Crystal-Plane Effects of Nanoscale Ceria on the Activity of Au-CeO2 Catalysts for the Water–Gas Shift Reaction
journal, March 2008
- Si, Rui; Flytzani-Stephanopoulos, Maria
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 47, Issue 15, p. 2884-2887
Effects of the support on the morphology and electronic properties of supported metal clusters: modern concepts and progress in 1990s
journal, November 1999
- Stakheev, A. Yu.; Kustov, L. M.
- Applied Catalysis A: General, Vol. 188, Issue 1-2, p. 3-35
Structural diversity in binary nanoparticle superlattices
journal, January 2006
- Shevchenko, Elena V.; Talapin, Dmitri V.; Kotov, Nicholas A.
- Nature, Vol. 439, Issue 7072, p. 55-59
Synergism in binary nanocrystal superlattices leads to enhanced p-type conductivity in self-assembled PbTe/Ag2Te thin films
journal, January 2007
- Urban, Jeffrey J.; Talapin, Dmitri V.; Shevchenko, Elena V.
- Nature Materials, Vol. 6, Issue 2, p. 115-121
Towards the computational design of solid catalysts
journal, April 2009
- Nørskov, J.; Bligaard, T.; Rossmeisl, J.
- Nature Chemistry, Vol. 1, Issue 1, p. 37-46
Sum Frequency Generation and Catalytic Reaction Studies of the Removal of Organic Capping Agents from Pt Nanoparticles by UV−Ozone Treatment
journal, February 2009
- Aliaga, Cesar; Park, Jeong Y.; Yamada, Yusuke
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Vol. 113, Issue 15, p. 6150-6155
Morphological Control of Catalytically Active Platinum Nanocrystals
journal, November 2006
- Lee, Hyunjoo; Habas, Susan E.; Kweskin, Sasha
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 45, Issue 46, p. 7824-7828
A comparative study of the water-gas shift activity of Pt catalysts supported on single (MOx) and composite (MOx/Al2O3, MOx/TiO2) metal oxide carriers
journal, September 2007
- Panagiotopoulou, Paraskevi; Kondarides, Dimitris I.
- Catalysis Today, Vol. 127, Issue 1-4, p. 319-329
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: