Forming high efficiency silicon solar cells using density-graded anti-reflection surfaces
A method (50) is provided for processing a graded-density AR silicon surface (14) to provide effective surface passivation. The method (50) includes positioning a substrate or wafer (12) with a silicon surface (14) in a reaction or processing chamber (42). The silicon surface (14) has been processed (52) to be an AR surface with a density gradient or region of black silicon. The method (50) continues with heating (54) the chamber (42) to a high temperature for both doping and surface passivation. The method (50) includes forming (58), with a dopant-containing precursor in contact with the silicon surface (14) of the substrate (12), an emitter junction (16) proximate to the silicon surface (14) by doping the substrate (12). The method (50) further includes, while the chamber is maintained at the high or raised temperature, forming (62) a passivation layer (19) on the graded-density silicon anti-reflection surface (14).
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Alliance for Sustainable Energy, LLC (Golden, CO) GFO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- National Renewable Energy Lab. (NREL), Golden, CO (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 14 SOLAR ENERGY
Other works cited in this record:Photoelectrochemical device and electrode
patent, May 2006
- Gibson, Thomas L.; Kelly, Nelson A.
- US Patent Document 7,052,587
Electrophoretic displays using nanoparticles
patent-application, October 2002
- Jacobson, Joseph M.; Drzaic, Paul S.; Morrison, Ian D.
- US Patent Application 10/054721; 20020145792
Conversion of Carbon Dioxide to Organic Products
patent-application, July 2010
- Bocarsly, Andrew B.; Cole, Emily Barton
- US Patent Document 12/696840; 20100187123
Fabrication of Single-Crystalline Silicon Nanowires by Scratching a Silicon Surface with Catalytic Metal Particles
journal, February 2006
- Peng, K. Q.; Hu, J. J.; Yan, Y. J.
- Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 16, Issue 3, p. 387-394
Texturization of multicrystalline silicon wafers for solar cells by chemical treatment using metallic catalyst
journal, January 2006
- Tsujino, K.; Matsumura, M.; Nishimoto, Y.
- Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Vol. 90, Issue 1, p. 100-110
Antireflection subwavelength structure of silicon surface formed by wet process using catalysis of single nano-sized gold particle
journal, August 2008
- Nishioka, Kensuke; Horita, Susumu; Ohdaira, Keisuke
- Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Vol. 92, Issue 8, p. 919-922
Porous silicon in solar cells: A review and a description of its application as an AR coating
journal, April 1995
- Menna, P.; Di Francia, G.; La Ferrara, V.
- Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Vol. 37, Issue 1, p. 13-24
Optical reflectance and transmission of a textured surface
journal, August 1977
- Stephens, Richard B.; Cody, George D.
- Thin Solid Films, Vol. 45, Issue 1, p. 19-29
Metal-assisted chemical etching of silicon in HF–H2O2
journal, July 2008
- Chartier, C.; Bastide, S.; Lévy-Clément, C.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 53, Issue 17, p. 5509-5516
Design and characterization of a robust photoelectrochemical device to generate hydrogen using solar water splitting
journal, September 2006
- Kelly, Nelson A.; Gibson, Thomas L.
- International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 31, Issue 12, p. 1658-1673
Black silicon layer formation for application in solar cells
journal, November 2006
- Yoo, J. S.; Parm, I. O.; Gangopadhyay, U.
- Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Vol. 90, Issue 18-19, p. 3085-3093
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: