High-precision micro/nano-scale machining system
A high precision micro/nanoscale machining system. A multi-axis movement machine provides relative movement along multiple axes between a workpiece and a tool holder. A cutting tool is disposed on a flexible cantilever held by the tool holder, the tool holder being movable to provide at least two of the axes to set the angle and distance of the cutting tool relative to the workpiece. A feedback control system uses measurement of deflection of the cantilever during cutting to maintain a desired cantilever deflection and hence a desired load on the cutting tool.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois (Urbana, IL) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- FG02-07ER46453; FG02-04ER46471
- Research Org:
- University of Illinois, Urbana, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 42 ENGINEERING
Other works cited in this record:Microgrooving and microthreading tools for fabricating curvilinear features
journal, October 2000
- Adams, D. P.; Vasile, M. J.; Krishnan, A. S. M.
- Precision Engineering, Vol. 24, Issue 4, p. 347-356
Focused ion beam-shaped microtools for ultra-precision machining of cylindrical components
journal, January 2003
- Picard, Y. N.; Adams, D. P.; Vasile, M. J.
- Precision Engineering, Vol. 27, Issue 1, p. 59-69
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: