Plants with modified lignin content and methods for production thereof
The invention provides methods for decreasing lignin content and for increasing the level of fermentable carbohydrates in plants by down-regulation of the NST transcription factor. Nucleic acid constructs for down-regulation of NST are described. Transgenic plants are provided that comprise reduced lignin content. Plants described herein may be used, for example, as improved biofuel feedstock and as highly digestible forage crops. Methods for processing plant tissue and for producing ethanol by utilizing such plants are also provided.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation (Ardmore, OK) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- The Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, Ardmore, OK (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 60 APPLIED LIFE SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:High molecular weight RNAs and small interfering RNAs induce systemic posttranscriptional gene silencing in plants
journal, August 2002
- Klahre, U.; Crete, P.; Leuenberger, S. A.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 99, Issue 18, p. 11981-11986
Protein tolerance to random amino acid change
journal, June 2004
- Guo, H. H.; Choe, J.; Loeb, L. A.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 101, Issue 25, p. 9205-9210
Lignin modification improves fermentable sugar yields for biofuel production
journal, June 2007
- Chen, Fang; Dixon, Richard A.
- Nature Biotechnology, Vol. 25, Issue 7, p. 759-761
Transformation of Zea mays L. Using Agrobacterium tumefaciens and the Shoot Apex
journal, February 1991
- Gould, J.; Devey, M.; Hasegawa, O.
- Plant Physiology, Vol. 95, Issue 2, p. 426-434
NAC Transcription Factors, NST1 and NST3, Are Key Regulators of the Formation of Secondary Walls in Woody Tissues of Arabidopsis
journal, January 2007
- Mitsuda, N.; Iwase, A.; Yamamoto, H.
- The Plant Cell, Vol. 19, Issue 1, p. 270-280
Insertional mutagenesis: a Swiss Army knife for functional genomics of Medicago truncatula
journal, May 2005
- Tadege, Million; Ratet, Pascal; Mysore, Kirankumar S.
- Trends in Plant Science, Vol. 10, Issue 5, p. 229-235
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: