High efficiency proportional neutron detector with solid liner internal structures
A tube-style neutron detector, a panel-style neutron detector incorporating a plurality of tube-style neutron detectors, and a panel-style neutron detector including a plurality of anode wires are provided. A plurality of channels is provided in a neutron detector such that each channel has an inner surface of a coating layer including a neutron-absorbing material. A wire anode is provided at end of each channel so that electrons generated by a charged daughter particle generated by a neutron are collected to detect a neutron-matter interaction. Moderator units can be incorporated into a neutron detector to provide improved detection efficiencies and/or to determine neutron energy spectrum. Gas-based proportional response from the neutron detectors can be employed for special nuclear material (SNM) detection. This neutron detector can provide similar performance to .sup.3He-based detectors without requiring .sup.3He and without containing toxic, flammable, or high-pressure materials.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- UT-Battelle, LLC (Oak Ridge, TN) ORNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- ORNL (Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States))
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 46 INSTRUMENTATION RELATED TO NUCLEAR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:New cathode design boron lined proportional counters for neutron area monitoring application
journal, June 2007
- Dighe, Priyamvada M.
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Vol. 575, Issue 3, p. 461-465
Boron-lined proportional counters with improved neutron sensitivity
journal, January 2003
- Dighe, P. M.; Prasad, D. N.; Prasad, K. R.
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Vol. 496, Issue 1, p. 154-161
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: