Methods for improved growth of group III nitride buffer layers
Methods are disclosed for growing high crystal quality group III-nitride epitaxial layers with advanced multiple buffer layer techniques. In an embodiment, a method includes forming group III-nitride buffer layers that contain aluminum on suitable substrate in a processing chamber of a hydride vapor phase epitaxy processing system. A hydrogen halide or halogen gas is flowing into the growth zone during deposition of buffer layers to suppress homogeneous particle formation. Some combinations of low temperature buffers that contain aluminum (e.g., AlN, AlGaN) and high temperature buffers that contain aluminum (e.g., AlN, AlGaN) may be used to improve crystal quality and morphology of subsequently grown group III-nitride epitaxial layers. The buffer may be deposited on the substrate, or on the surface of another buffer. The additional buffer layers may be added as interlayers in group III-nitride layers (e.g., GaN, AlGaN, AlN).
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Applied Materials, Inc. (Santa Clara, CA) NETL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- NETL (National Energy Technology Laboratory, Pittsburgh, PA, and Morgantown, WV (United States))
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:Growth of Planar Non-Polar M-Plane and Semi-Polar Gallium Nitride with Hydride Vapor Phase Epitaxy (HVPE)
patent-application, January 2010
- Usikov, Alexander; Syrkin, Alexander; Brown, Robert G.W.
- US Patent Application 12/503656; 20100012948
Growth and design of deep-UV (240–290nm) light emitting diodes using AlGaN alloys
journal, December 2004
- Allerman, A. A.; Crawford, M. H.; Fischer, A. J.
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 272, Issue 1-4, p. 227-241
Aluminum nitride substrate growth by halide vapor transport epitaxy
journal, March 2003
- Bliss, D. F.; Tassev, V. L.; Weyburne, D.
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 250, Issue 1-2, p. 1-6
Modeling of gas phase and surface reactions in an aluminum nitride growth system
journal, July 2006
- Cai, D.; Zheng, L. L.; Zhang, H.
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 293, Issue 1, p. 136-145
Epitaxial growth of aluminum nitride
journal, October 1967
- Chu, T. L.; Ing, D. W.; Noreika, A. J.
- Solid-State Electronics, Vol. 10, Issue 10, p. 1023-1027
Thermodynamic and experimental investigations on the growth of thick aluminum nitride layers by high temperature CVD
journal, June 2009
- Claudel, A.; Blanquet, E.; Chaussende, D.
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 311, Issue 13, p. 3371-3379
Chemical vapour deposition of polycrystalline AlN films from AlCl3–NH3 mixtures.
journal, March 2002
- Dollet, A.; Casaux, Y.; Chaix, G.
- Thin Solid Films, Vol. 406, Issue 1-2, p. 1-16
MOVPE-like HVPE of AlN using solid aluminum trichloride source
journal, January 2007
- Eriguchi, Ken-ichi; Murakami, Hisashi; Panyukova, Uliana
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 298, p. 332-335
Growth of thick AlN layers by hydride vapor-phase epitaxy
journal, July 2005
- Kumagai, Yoshinao; Yamane, Takayoshi; Koukitu, Akinori
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 281, Issue 1, p. 62-67
Growth of the AlN nano-pillar crystal films by means of a halide chemical vapor deposition under atmospheric pressure
journal, July 2004
- Yoshioka, Masayuki; Takahashi, Naoyuki; Nakamura, Takato
- Materials Chemistry and Physics, Vol. 86, Issue 1, p. 74-77
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: