Robust, self-assembled, biocompatible films
The present invention provides a composite material including a substrate having an oxide surface, and, a continuous monolayer on the oxide surface, the monolayer including a silicon atom from a trifunctional alkyl/alkenyl/alkynyl silane group that attaches to the oxide surface, an alkyl/alkenyl/alkynyl portion of at least three carbon atoms, a polyalkylene glycol spacer group, and either a reactive site (e.g., a recognition ligand) or a site resistant to non-specific binding (e.g., a methoxy or the like) at the terminus of each modified SAM. The present invention further provides a sensor element, a sensor array and a method of sensing, each employing the composite material. Patterning is also provided together with backfilling to minimize non-specific binding.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Los Alamos National Security, LLC (Los Alamos, NM) LANL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- LANL (Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States))
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:Formation of self-assembled monolayers by chemisorption of derivatives of oligo(ethylene glycol) of structure HS(CH2)11(OCH2CH2)mOH on gold
journal, January 1991
- Pale-Grosdemange, Catherine; Simon, Ethan S.; Prime, Kevin L.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 113, Issue 1, p. 12-20
Adsorption of proteins onto surfaces containing end-attached oligo(ethylene oxide): a model system using self-assembled monolayers
journal, November 1993
- Prime, Kevin L.; Whitesides, George M.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 115, Issue 23, p. 10714-10721
Functional PEG-Modified Thin Films for Biological Detection
journal, March 2008
- Anderson, Aaron S.; Dattelbaum, Andrew M.; Montaño, Gabriel A.
- Langmuir, Vol. 24, Issue 5, p. 2240-2247
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: