Soft lithography microlens fabrication and array for enhanced light extraction from organic light emitting diodes (OLEDs)
Provided are microlens arrays for use on the substrate of OLEDs to extract more light that is trapped in waveguided modes inside the devices and methods of manufacturing same. Light extraction with microlens arrays is not limited to the light emitting area, but is also efficient in extracting light from the whole microlens patterned area where waveguiding occurs. Large microlens array, compared to the size of the light emitting area, extract more light and result in over 100% enhancement. Such a microlens array is not limited to (O)LEDs of specific emission, configuration, pixel size, or pixel shape. It is suitable for all colors, including white, for microcavity OLEDs, and OLEDs fabricated directly on the (modified) microlens array.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Iowa State University Research Foundation, Inc. (Ames, IA) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- Ames Laboratory (AMES), Ames, IA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 32 ENERGY CONSERVATION, CONSUMPTION, AND UTILIZATION; 42 ENGINEERING
Other works cited in this record:Synthesis and Magnetic Behavior of Periodic Nickel Sphere Arrays
journal, September 2003
- Xu, L.; Tung, L. D.; Spinu, L.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 15, Issue 18, p. 1562-1564
TiO2 Inverse Opals Fabricated Using Low-Temperature Atomic Layer Deposition
journal, April 2005
- King, J. S.; Graugnard, E.; Summers, C. J.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 17, Issue 8, p. 1010-1013
Fabrication of 3D metallic photonic crystals by X-ray lithography
journal, June 2003
- Romanato, F.; Businaro, L.; Vaccari, L.
- Microelectronic Engineering, Vol. 67-68, p. 479-486
All-metallic three-dimensional photonic crystals with a large infrared bandgap
journal, May 2002
- Fleming, J. G.; Lin, S. Y.; El-Kady, I.
- Nature, Vol. 417, Issue 6884, p. 52-55
Resonant-cavity enhanced thermal emission
journal, August 2005
- Celanovic, Ivan; Perreault, David; Kassakian, John
- Physical Review B, Vol. 72, Issue 7, Article No. 075127
Carbon Structures with Three-Dimensional Periodicity at Optical Wavelengths
journal, October 1998
- Zakhidov, Anvar A.; Baughman, Ray H.; Iqbal, Zafar
- Science, Vol. 282, Issue 5390, p. 897-901
Two-Polymer Microtransfer Molding for Highly Layered Microstructures
journal, October 2005
- Lee, J.-H.; Kim, C.-H.; Ho, K.-M.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 17, Issue 20, p. 2481-2485
Woodpile Metallic Photonic Crystals Fabricated by Using Soft Lithography for Tailored Thermal Emission
journal, March 2007
- Lee, J.-H.; Kim, Y.-S.; Constant, K.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 19, Issue 6, p. 791-794
Optical microcavities in condensed matter systems
journal, October 1994
- Slusher, R. E.; Weisbuch, C.
- Solid State Communications, Vol. 92, Issue 1-2, p. 149-158
Colloidal crystal templating of three-dimensionally ordered macroporous solids: materials for photonics and beyond
journal, December 2001
- Stein, Andreas; Schroden, Rick C.
- Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science, Vol. 5, Issue 6, p. 553-564
A review on the light extraction techniques in organic electroluminescent devices
journal, November 2009
- Saxena, Kanchan; Jain, V. K.; Mehta, Dalip Singh
- Optical Materials, Vol. 32, Issue 1, p. 221-233
Angular Dependence of the Emission from a Conjugated Polymer Light-Emitting Diode: Implications for efficiency calculations
journal, June 1994
- Greenham, Neil C.; Friend, Richard H.; Bradley, Donal D. C.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 6, Issue 6, p. 491-494
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: