Controllable assembly and disassembly of nanoparticle systems via protein and DNA agents
The invention relates to the use of peptides, proteins, and other oligomers to provide a means by which normally quenched nanoparticle fluorescence may be recovered upon detection of a target molecule. Further, the inventive technology provides a structure and method to carry out detection of target molecules without the need to label the target molecules before detection. In another aspect, a method for forming arbitrarily shaped two- and three-dimensional protein-mediated nanoparticle structures and the resulting structures are described. Proteins mediating structure formation may themselves be functionalized with a variety of useful moieties, including catalytic functional groups.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Brookhaven Science Associates, LLC (Upton, NY) BNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2009 Jun 02
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:Selective Colorimetric Detection of Polynucleotides Based on the Distance-Dependent Optical Properties of Gold Nanoparticles
journal, August 1997
- Elghanian, Robert; Storhoff, James J.; Mucic, Robert C.
- Science, Vol. 277, Issue 5329, p. 1078-1081
Peptide-Based Nanotubes and Their Applications in Bionanotechnology
journal, September 2005
- Gao, X.; Matsui, H.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 17, Issue 17, p. 2037-2050
Assembly of Nanoparticle–Protein Binding Complexes: From Monomers to Ordered Arrays
journal, July 2007
- Hu, Minghui; Qian, Luping; Briñas, Raymond P.
- Angewandte Chemie, Vol. 119, Issue 27, p. 5203-5206
Modification of Escherichia coli single-stranded DNA binding protein with gold nanoparticles for electrochemical detection of DNA hybridization
journal, May 2004
- Kerman, Kagan; Morita, Yasutaka; Takamura, Yuzuru
- Analytica Chimica Acta, Vol. 510, Issue 2, p. 169-174
Self-Assembly of CdSe−ZnS Quantum Dot Bioconjugates Using an Engineered Recombinant Protein
journal, December 2000
- Mattoussi, Hedi; Mauro, J. Matthew; Goldman, Ellen R.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 122, Issue 49, p. 12142-12150
A DNA-based method for rationally assembling nanoparticles into macroscopic materials
journal, August 1996
- Mirkin, Chad A.; Letsinger, Robert L.; Mucic, Robert C.
- Nature, Vol. 382, Issue 6592, p. 607-609
The Binding Affinity of Ff Gene 5 Protein Depends on the Nearest-Neighbor Composition of the ssDNA Substrate
journal, March 1999
- Mou, Tung-Chung; Gray, Carla W.; Gray, Donald M.
- Biophysical Journal, Vol. 76, Issue 3, p. 1537-1551
Bio-Barcodes Based on Oligonucleotide-Modified Nanoparticles
journal, April 2002
- Nam, Jwa-Min; Park, So-Jung; Mirkin, Chad A.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 124, Issue 15, p. 3820-3821
DNA-guided crystallization of colloidal nanoparticles
journal, January 2008
- Nykypanchuk, Dmytro; Maye, Mathew M.; van der Lelie, Daniel
- Nature, Vol. 451, Issue 7178, p. 549-552
A new fluorescent quantitative polymerase chain reaction technique
journal, October 2002
- Shengqi, Wang; Xiaohong, Wang; Suhong, Chen
- Analytical Biochemistry, Vol. 309, Issue 2, p. 206-211
Reversible Switching of DNA-Gold Nanoparticle Aggregation
journal, December 2004
- Hazarika, Pompi; Ceyhan, Bülent; Niemeyer, Christof M.
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 43, Issue 47, p. 6469-6471
Colloidal Au-Enhanced Surface Plasmon Resonance for Ultrasensitive Detection of DNA Hybridization
journal, September 2000
- He, Lin; Musick, Michael D.; Nicewarner, Sheila R.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 122, Issue 38, p. 9071-9077
Two-Color Labeling of Oligonucleotide Arrays via Size-Selective Scattering of Nanoparticle Probes
journal, May 2001
- Taton, T. Andrew; Lu, Gang; Mirkin, Chad A.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 123, Issue 21, p. 5164-5165
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: