One-step catalytic conversion of biomass-derived carbohydrates to liquid fuels
The invention relates to a method for manufacture of hydrocarbon fuels and oxygenated hydrocarbon fuels such as alkyl substituted tetrahydrofurans such as 2,5-dimethyltetrahydrofuran, 2-methyltetrahydrofuran, 5-methylfurfural and mixtures thereof. The method generally entails forming a mixture of reactants that includes carbonaceous material, water, a metal catalyst and an acid reacting that mixture in the presence of hydrogen. The reaction is performed at a temperature and for a time sufficient to produce a furan type hydrocarbon fuel. The process may be adapted to provide continuous manufacture of hydrocarbon fuels such as a furan type fuel.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Penn State Research Foundation (University Park, PA) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- Penn State Research Foundation, University Park, PA, USA
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 09 BIOMASS FUELS
Other works cited in this record:Production of dimethylfuran for liquid fuels from biomass-derived carbohydrates
journal, June 2007
- Román-Leshkov, Yuriy; Barrett, Christopher J.; Liu, Zhen Y.
- Nature, Vol. 447, Issue 7147, p. 982-985
Metal Chlorides in Ionic Liquid Solvents Convert Sugars to 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural
journal, June 2007
- Zhao, H.; Holladay, J. E.; Brown, H.
- Science, Vol. 316, Issue 5831, p. 1597-1600
Efficient Catalytic System for the Selective Production of 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural from Glucose and Fructose
journal, October 2008
- Yong, Gen; Zhang, Yugen; Ying, Jackie Y.
- Angewandte Chemie, Vol. 120, Issue 48, p. 9485-9488
Simple Chemical Transformation of Lignocellulosic Biomass into Furans for Fuels and Chemicals
journal, February 2009
- Binder, Joseph B.; Raines, Ronald T.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 131, Issue 5, p. 1979-1985
Production of Liquid Alkanes by Aqueous-Phase Processing of Biomass-Derived Carbohydrates
journal, June 2005
- Huber, George W.; Chheda, Juben N.; Barrett, Christopher J.
- Science, Vol. 308, Issue 5727, p. 1446-1450
Direct, High-Yield Conversion of Cellulose into Biofuel
journal, September 2008
- Mascal, Mark; Nikitin, Edward B.
- Angewandte Chemie, Vol. 120, Issue 41, p. 8042-8044
Effect of particle size based separation of milled corn stover on AFEX pretreatment and enzymatic digestibility
journal, January 2006
- Chundawat, Shishir P.S.; Venkatesh, Balan; Dale, Bruce E.
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 96, Issue 2, p. 219-231
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: