Aluminum/alkaline earth metal composites and method for producing
A composite is provided having an electrically conducting Al matrix and elongated filaments comprising Ca and/or Sr and/or Ba disposed in the matrix and extending along a longitudinal axis of the composite. The filaments initially comprise Ca and/or Sr and/or Ba metal or allow and then may be reacted with the Al matrix to form a strengthening intermetallic compound comprising Al and Ca and/or Sr and/or Ba. The composite is useful as a long-distance, high voltage power transmission conductor.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Iowa State University Research Foundation, Inc. (Ames, IA) AMES
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- AMES (Ames Laboratory (AMES), Ames, IA (United States))
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:A high-strength, high-conductivity Al–Ti deformation processed metal metal matrix composite
journal, March 1999
- Russell, A. M.; Lund, T.; Chumbley, L. S.
- Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol. 30, Issue 3, p. 239-247
Texture–strength relationships in a deformation processed Al–Sn metal–metal composite
journal, May 2004
- Xu, K.; Russell, A. M.
- Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 373, Issue 1-2, p. 99-106
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: