Method for estimating processability of a hydrocarbon-containing feedstock for hydroprocessing
Disclosed herein is a method involving the steps of (a) precipitating an amount of asphaltenes from a liquid sample of a first hydrocarbon-containing feedstock having solvated asphaltenes therein with one or more first solvents in a column; (b) determining one or more solubility characteristics of the precipitated asphaltenes; (c) analyzing the one or more solubility characteristics of the precipitated asphaltenes; and (d) correlating a measurement of feedstock reactivity for the first hydrocarbon-containing feedstock sample with a mathematical parameter derived from the results of analyzing the one or more solubility characteristics of the precipitates asphaltenes. Determined parameters and processabilities for a plurality of feedstocks can be used to generate a mathematical relationship between parameter and processability; this relationship can be used to estimate the processability for hydroprocessing for a feedstock of unknown processability.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The University of Wyoming Research Corporation (Laramie, WY) NETL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Jun 04
- Research Org:
- The University of Wyoming Research Corporation, Laramie, WY, USA
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:Aggregation of asphaltenes as determined by calorimetry
journal, March 1991
- Andersen, Simon Ivar; Birdi, Kulbir S.
- Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 142, Issue 2, p. 497-502
Acoustic method for measuring asphaltene flocculation in crude oils
journal, September 2000
- Carrier, H.; Plantier, F.; Daridon, J-L.
- Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol. 27, Issue 3-4, p. 111-117
Thermal cracking of petroleum residues: 1. Kinetic analysis of the reaction
journal, January 1993
- Del Bianco, A.; Panariti, N.; Anelli, M.
- Fuel, Vol. 72, Issue 1, p. 75-80
Non-pyrolytic heat induced deposition from heavy oils
journal, May 2001
- Schabron, J. F.; Pauli, A. T.; Rovani, J. F.
- Fuel, Vol. 80, Issue 7, p. 919-928
Residua coke formation predictability maps
journal, December 2002
- Schabron, John F.; Pauli, Adam T.; Rovani Jr., Joseph F.
- Fuel, Vol. 81, Issue 17, p. 2227-2240
Predicting coke formation tendencies
journal, August 2001
- Schabron, John F.; Pauli, Adam T.; Rovani, Joseph F.
- Fuel, Vol. 80, Issue 10, p. 1435-1446
Characteristic changes of asphaltenes during visbreaking of North Gujarat short residue
journal, March 1990
- Singh, I. D.; Kothiyal, V.; Ramaswamy, V.
- Fuel, Vol. 69, Issue 3, p. 289-292
Initial studies using ultrasonic spectroscopy for monitoring changes in residua with pyrolysis
journal, October 2006
- Schabron, John F.; Rovani, Joseph F.; Pauli, A. Troy
- Fuel, Vol. 85, Issue 14-15, p. 2093-2105
Kinetic models for the thermal cracking of Athabasca bitumen
journal, May 1985
- Phillips, Colin R.; Haidar, Nagib I.; Poon, Yiu C.
- Fuel, Vol. 64, Issue 5, p. 678-691
On-column precipitation and re-dissolution of asphaltenes in petroleum residua
journal, February 2008
- Schabron, John F.; Rovani, Joseph F.
- Fuel, Vol. 87, Issue 2, p. 165-176
TLC–FID (Iatroscan) analysis of heavy oil and tar sand samples
journal, August 2008
- Jiang, Chunqing; Larter, Steve R.; Noke, Kimberley J.
- Organic Geochemistry, Vol. 39, Issue 8, p. 1210-1214
Analysis of petroleum fractions by TLC-FID: applications to petroleum reservoir description
journal, January 1991
- Karlsen, Dag A.; Larter, Steve R.
- Organic Geochemistry, Vol. 17, Issue 5, p. 603-617
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: