Regulating the ethylene response of a plant by modulation of F-box proteins
The relationship between F-box proteins and proteins invovled in the ethylene response in plants is described. In particular, F-box proteins may bind to proteins involved in the ethylene response and target them for degradation by the ubiquitin/proteasome pathway. The transcription factor EIN3 is a key transcription factor mediating ethylne-regulated gene expression and morphological responses. EIN3 is degraded through a ubiquitin/proteasome pathway mediated by F-box proteins EBF1 and EBF2. The link between F-box proteins and the ethylene response is a key step in modulating or regulating the response of a plant to ethylene. Described herein are transgenic plants having an altered sensitivity to ethylene, and methods for making transgenic plant haing an althered sensitivity to ethylene by modulating the level of activity of F-box proteins. Methods of altering the ethylene response in a plant by modulating the activity or expression of an F-box protein are described. Also described are methods of identifying compounds that modulate the ethylene response in plants by modulating the level of F-box protein expression or activity.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Salk Institute for Biological Studies (La Jolla, CA) NNSA
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2011 Jan 27
- Research Org:
- Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 60 APPLIED LIFE SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:Genome-Wide Insertional Mutagenesis of Arabidopsis thaliana
journal, August 2003
- Alonso, J. M.; Stepanova, Anna N.; Leisse, Thomas J.
- Science, Vol. 301, Issue 5633, p. 653-657
 Expression and secretion vectors for yeast
book, January 1987
- Bitter, Grant A.; Egan, Kevin M.; Koski, Raymond A.
- Recombinant DNA Part D, Vol. 153, p. 516-544
Activation of the Ethylene Gas Response Pathway in Arabidopsis by the Nuclear Protein ETHYLENE-INSENSITIVE3 and Related Proteins
journal, June 1997
- Chao, Qimin; Rothenberg, Madge; Solano, Roberto
- Cell, Vol. 89, Issue 7, p. 1133-1144
Ubiquitin-mediated proteolysis in plant hormone signal transduction
journal, July 2002
- Frugis, Giovanna; Chua, Nam-Hai
- Trends in Cell Biology, Vol. 12, Issue 7, p. 308-311
The F-box subunit of the SCF E3 complex is encoded by a diverse superfamily of genes in Arabidopsis
journal, August 2002
- Gagne, J. M.; Downes, B. P.; Shiu, S.-H.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 99, Issue 17, p. 11519-11524
Plant Responses to Ethylene Gas Are Mediated by SCFEBF1/EBF2-Dependent Proteolysis of EIN3 Transcription Factor
journal, December 2003
- Guo, Hongwei; Ecker, Joseph R
- Cell, Vol. 115, Issue 6, p. 667-677
Protein tolerance to random amino acid change
journal, June 2004
- Guo, H. H.; Choe, J.; Loeb, L. A.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 101, Issue 25, p. 9205-9210
Upstream sequences required for efficient expression of a soybean heat shock gene.
journal, February 1986
- Gurley, W. B.; Czarnecka, E.; Nagao, R. T.
- Molecular and Cellular Biology, Vol. 6, Issue 2, p. 559-565
The GSK3-like kinase BIN2 phosphorylates and destabilizes BZR1, a positive regulator of the brassinosteroid signaling pathway in Arabidopsis
journal, July 2002
- He, J.-X.; Gendron, J. M.; Yang, Y.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 99, Issue 15, p. 10185-10190
Ethylene Responses Are Negatively Regulated by a Receptor Gene Family in Arabidopsis thaliana
journal, July 1998
- Hua, Jian; Meyerowitz, Elliot M
- Cell, Vol. 94, Issue 2, p. 261-271
CTR1, a negative regulator of the ethylene response pathway in arabidopsis, encodes a member of the Raf family of protein kinases
journal, February 1993
- Kieber, Joseph J.; Rothenberg, Madge; Roman, Gregg
- Cell, Vol. 72, Issue 3, p. 427-441
Transformation of Microbes, Plants and Animals by Particle Bombardment
journal, March 1992
- Klein, Theodore M.; Arentzen, Rene; Lewis, Paul A.
- Nature Biotechnology, Vol. 10, Issue 3, p. 286-291
Proteasome inhibitors: valuable new tools for cell biologists
journal, October 1998
- Lee, Do Hee; Goldberg, Alfred L
- Trends in Cell Biology, Vol. 8, Issue 10, p. 397-403
A postgermination developmental arrest checkpoint is mediated by abscisic acid and requires the ABI5 transcription factor in Arabidopsis
journal, April 2001
- Lopez-Molina, L.; Mongrand, S.; Chua, N.-H.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 98, Issue 8, p. 4782-4787
Techniques for using antisense oligodeoxyribonucleotides to study gene expression
journal, August 1988
- Marcus-Sekura, Carol J.
- Analytical Biochemistry, Vol. 172, Issue 2, p. 289-295
Identification of DNA sequences required for activity of the cauliflower mosaic virus 35S promoter
journal, February 1985
- Odell, Joan T.; Nagy, Ferenc; Chua, Nam-Hai
- Nature, Vol. 313, Issue 6005, p. 810-812
EIN3-Dependent Regulation of Plant Ethylene Hormone Signaling by Two Arabidopsis F Box Proteins
journal, December 2003
- Potuschak, Thomas; Lechner, Esther; Parmentier, Yves
- Cell, Vol. 115, Issue 6, p. 679-689
Ethylene signaling: from mutants to molecules
journal, October 2000
- Stepanova, Anna N.; Ecker, Joseph R.
- Current Opinion in Plant Biology, Vol. 3, Issue 5, p. 353-360
The ubiquitin/26S proteasome pathway, the complex last chapter in the life of many plant proteins
journal, March 2003
- Vierstra, R.
- Trends in Plant Science, Vol. 8, Issue 3, p. 135-142
F-box proteins in Arabidopsis
journal, November 2000
- Xiao, Wenyan; Jang, Jyan-Chyun
- Trends in Plant Science, Vol. 5, Issue 11, p. 454-457
BES1 Accumulates in the Nucleus in Response to Brassinosteroids to Regulate Gene Expression and Promote Stem Elongation
journal, April 2002
- Yin, Yanhai; Wang, Zhi-Yong; Mora-Garcia, Santiago
- Cell, Vol. 109, Issue 2, p. 181-191
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: