skip to main content
OSTI.GOV title logo U.S. Department of Energy
Office of Scientific and Technical Information

Title: DISMANTLING OF THE FUEL CELL LABORATORY AT RESEARCH CENTRE JUELICH

Abstract

The fuel cell laboratory was constructed in three phases and taken into operation in the years 1962 to 1966. The last experimental work was carried out in 1996. After all cell internals had been disassembled, the fuel cell laboratory was transferred to shutdown operation in 1997. Three cell complexes, which differed, in particular, by the type of shielding (lead, cast steel, concrete), were available until then for activities at nuclear components. After approval by the regulatory authority, the actual dismantling of the fuel cell laboratory started in March 2000. The BZ I laboratory area consisted of 7 cells with lead shieldings of 100 to 250 mm thickness. This area was dismantled from April to September 2000. Among other things, approx. 30,000 lead bricks with a total weight of approx. 300 Mg were dismantled and disposed of. The BZ III laboratory area essentially consisted of cells with concrete shieldings of 1200 to 1400 mm thickness. The dismantling of this area started in the fir st half of 2001 and was completed in November 2002. Among other things, approx. 900 Mg of concrete was dismantled and disposed of. Since more than 90 % of the dismantled materials was measurable for clearance, variousmore » clearance measurement devices were used during dismantling. The BZ II laboratory area essentially consists of cells with cast steel shieldings of 400 to 460 mm thickness. In September 2002 it was decided to continue using this laboratory area for future tasks. The dismantling of the fuel cell laboratory was thus completed. After appropriate refurbishment, the fuel cell laboratory will probably take up operation again in late 2003.« less

Authors:
; ; ;
Publication Date:
Research Org.:
Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH, 52425 Juelich (DE); Sanierungstechnik GmbH 67547 Worms (DE)
Sponsoring Org.:
US Department of Energy (US)
OSTI Identifier:
827062
Resource Type:
Conference
Resource Relation:
Conference: Waste Management 2003 Symposium, Tucson, AZ (US), 02/23/2003--02/27/2003; Other Information: PBD: 27 Feb 2003
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
12 MANAGEMENT OF RADIOACTIVE WASTES, AND NON-RADIOACTIVE WASTES FROM NUCLEAR FACILITIES; 30 DIRECT ENERGY CONVERSION; 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; BRICKS; CLEARANCE; CONCRETES; FUEL CELLS; SHIELDING; SHUTDOWN; STEELS; THICKNESS; WASTE MANAGEMENT

Citation Formats

Stahn, B., Matela, K., Bensch, D., and Ambos, Frank. DISMANTLING OF THE FUEL CELL LABORATORY AT RESEARCH CENTRE JUELICH. United States: N. p., 2003. Web.
Stahn, B., Matela, K., Bensch, D., & Ambos, Frank. DISMANTLING OF THE FUEL CELL LABORATORY AT RESEARCH CENTRE JUELICH. United States.
Stahn, B., Matela, K., Bensch, D., and Ambos, Frank. Thu . "DISMANTLING OF THE FUEL CELL LABORATORY AT RESEARCH CENTRE JUELICH". United States. https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/827062.
@article{osti_827062,
title = {DISMANTLING OF THE FUEL CELL LABORATORY AT RESEARCH CENTRE JUELICH},
author = {Stahn, B. and Matela, K. and Bensch, D. and Ambos, Frank},
abstractNote = {The fuel cell laboratory was constructed in three phases and taken into operation in the years 1962 to 1966. The last experimental work was carried out in 1996. After all cell internals had been disassembled, the fuel cell laboratory was transferred to shutdown operation in 1997. Three cell complexes, which differed, in particular, by the type of shielding (lead, cast steel, concrete), were available until then for activities at nuclear components. After approval by the regulatory authority, the actual dismantling of the fuel cell laboratory started in March 2000. The BZ I laboratory area consisted of 7 cells with lead shieldings of 100 to 250 mm thickness. This area was dismantled from April to September 2000. Among other things, approx. 30,000 lead bricks with a total weight of approx. 300 Mg were dismantled and disposed of. The BZ III laboratory area essentially consisted of cells with concrete shieldings of 1200 to 1400 mm thickness. The dismantling of this area started in the fir st half of 2001 and was completed in November 2002. Among other things, approx. 900 Mg of concrete was dismantled and disposed of. Since more than 90 % of the dismantled materials was measurable for clearance, various clearance measurement devices were used during dismantling. The BZ II laboratory area essentially consists of cells with cast steel shieldings of 400 to 460 mm thickness. In September 2002 it was decided to continue using this laboratory area for future tasks. The dismantling of the fuel cell laboratory was thus completed. After appropriate refurbishment, the fuel cell laboratory will probably take up operation again in late 2003.},
doi = {},
journal = {},
number = ,
volume = ,
place = {United States},
year = {Thu Feb 27 00:00:00 EST 2003},
month = {Thu Feb 27 00:00:00 EST 2003}
}

Conference:
Other availability
Please see Document Availability for additional information on obtaining the full-text document. Library patrons may search WorldCat to identify libraries that hold this conference proceeding.

Save / Share: