skip to main content
OSTI.GOV title logo U.S. Department of Energy
Office of Scientific and Technical Information

Title: 35 and 300 kW(e) SNAP-50/SPUR powerplants for the manned orbiting space station application

Abstract

Declassified 6 Sep 1973. The charactenistics of the SNAP-50/SPUR power plant adapted to a typical large orbiting manned space station are described. Power plants of both 35 and 300 kW net electrical output were considered. The 35 kW(e) system was selected as being representative of the minimum power level at which it appears that nuclear reactor power plants are clearly competitive with nonnuclear systems. The larger power level was selected to determine the characteristics of the 300 kW(e) SNAP-50/SPUR reference power plant when adapted to this application. In modifying the basic SNAP-50/SPUR power plant concept for manned applications, it was necessary to provide power conversion system redundancy and increased meteoroid protection in the heat rejection systems. To limit radiation in the space station to suitable levels for crew occupancy, the reactor system and all components containing highly radioactive fluids are located within the shield envelope. Furthermore, the lifetime goal of the space station (5 years) exceeds the design lifetime of the power plant (10,000 hours = 1.2 years); therefore, a design to facilitate power plant removal and replacement was incorporated. Since the shield weight is such a large portion of the over- all weight, a concept was evolved in whichmore » about 75 percent of the shieid remains permanently attached to the apace station and the remaining 25 percent is removable and replaced with the power plant. (auth)« less

Publication Date:
Research Org.:
Pratt and Whitney Aircraft, Middletown, Conn. (USA). Connecticut Advanced Nuclear Engineering Lab.
Sponsoring Org.:
US Atomic Energy Commission (AEC)
OSTI Identifier:
4307103
Report Number(s):
PWAC-457
NSA Number:
NSA-29-031319
DOE Contract Number:  
AT(30-1)-2789
Resource Type:
Technical Report
Resource Relation:
Other Information: Declassified 6 Sep 1973. Orig. Receipt Date: 30-JUN-74
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
N77800* -Reactors-Space, Mobile, Propulsion, Transportation & Package Reactors; *S50 REACTOR- SPECIFICATIONS; PERFORMANCE; SATELLITES; SPACE VEHICLES

Citation Formats

. 35 and 300 kW(e) SNAP-50/SPUR powerplants for the manned orbiting space station application. United States: N. p., 1965. Web. doi:10.2172/4307103.
. 35 and 300 kW(e) SNAP-50/SPUR powerplants for the manned orbiting space station application. United States. doi:10.2172/4307103.
. Fri . "35 and 300 kW(e) SNAP-50/SPUR powerplants for the manned orbiting space station application". United States. doi:10.2172/4307103. https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/4307103.
@article{osti_4307103,
title = {35 and 300 kW(e) SNAP-50/SPUR powerplants for the manned orbiting space station application},
author = {},
abstractNote = {Declassified 6 Sep 1973. The charactenistics of the SNAP-50/SPUR power plant adapted to a typical large orbiting manned space station are described. Power plants of both 35 and 300 kW net electrical output were considered. The 35 kW(e) system was selected as being representative of the minimum power level at which it appears that nuclear reactor power plants are clearly competitive with nonnuclear systems. The larger power level was selected to determine the characteristics of the 300 kW(e) SNAP-50/SPUR reference power plant when adapted to this application. In modifying the basic SNAP-50/SPUR power plant concept for manned applications, it was necessary to provide power conversion system redundancy and increased meteoroid protection in the heat rejection systems. To limit radiation in the space station to suitable levels for crew occupancy, the reactor system and all components containing highly radioactive fluids are located within the shield envelope. Furthermore, the lifetime goal of the space station (5 years) exceeds the design lifetime of the power plant (10,000 hours = 1.2 years); therefore, a design to facilitate power plant removal and replacement was incorporated. Since the shield weight is such a large portion of the over- all weight, a concept was evolved in which about 75 percent of the shieid remains permanently attached to the apace station and the remaining 25 percent is removable and replaced with the power plant. (auth)},
doi = {10.2172/4307103},
journal = {},
number = ,
volume = ,
place = {United States},
year = {1965},
month = {3}
}