skip to main content
OSTI.GOV title logo U.S. Department of Energy
Office of Scientific and Technical Information

Title: COMBUSTION-DISSOLUTION EXPERIMENTS WITH IRRADIATED GRAPHITE-BASE REACTOR FUEL CONTAINING CARBON-COATED THORIUM-URANIUM DICARBIDE PARTICLES

Abstract

Four small pieces of simulated HTGR fuel (from the GAIL-IIIA loop experiment) irradiated to approximately 10,000 Mwd/metric ton (U + Th) were burned in oxygen for 5 hr to determine fission product volatility and dissolubility of the ash. Two of the fuel pieces (C-coated Th-U dicarbide particles dispersed in a graphite matrix; Th/U ratio of about 2.5) were burned at 800 deg C; the other two at about 1200 deg C. Essentially no uranium, thorium, zirconium, or rare earths volatilized in any experiment. 0,reater than 78% of the ruthenium was volatile at 800 deg C and 97 to 99% at 1200 deg C. About 25 to 35% of the cesium vaporized at 800 deg C and 67 to 88% at 1200 deg C. The ThO/sub 2/--U/sub 3/O/sub 8/ combustion ash from the two 800 deg C runs was completely dissolved in 7 hr in refluxing 13M HNO/sub 3/--0.04M HF--0.04M Al(NO/sub 3/)/sub 3/; the final solutions were about 0.5M in Th. The ash from the 1200 deg C runs was slightly more refractory. In one case complete dissolution was achieved; but, in the other, only 97% was dissolved in the 7-hr period. The remaining 3% dissolved in a second 7-hr digestionmore » with fresh reagent. The results of these preliminary experiments indicate that a Burn-Dissolve process for irradiated graphite-base reactor fuels is chemically feasible. (auth)« less

Authors:
; ; ; ;
Publication Date:
Research Org.:
Oak Ridge National Lab., Tenn.
OSTI Identifier:
4129321
Report Number(s):
ORNL-TM-688
NSA Number:
NSA-18-003882
DOE Contract Number:  
W-7405-ENG-26
Resource Type:
Technical Report
Resource Relation:
Other Information: Orig. Receipt Date: 31-DEC-64
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
CHEMISTRY; ALUMINUM NITRATES; CARBON; CESIUM; COMBUSTION; FISSION PRODUCTS; FUEL CANS; GRAPHITE; HIGH TEMPERATURE; HYDROFLUORIC ACID; MOCKUP; NITRIC ACID; OXYGEN; QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS; RARE EARTHS; RESIDUES; RUTHENIUM; SEPARATION PROCESSES; SOLUBILITY; SOLUTIONS; THORIUM; THORIUM CARBIDES; THORIUM OXIDES; U3O8; URANIUM; URANIUM CARBIDES; VOLATILITY; WASTE PROCESSING; ZIRCONIUM

Citation Formats

Ferris, L. M., Warren, K. S., Ullmann, J. W., Byrd, L. A., and Thompson, C. T. COMBUSTION-DISSOLUTION EXPERIMENTS WITH IRRADIATED GRAPHITE-BASE REACTOR FUEL CONTAINING CARBON-COATED THORIUM-URANIUM DICARBIDE PARTICLES. United States: N. p., 1963. Web. doi:10.2172/4129321.
Ferris, L. M., Warren, K. S., Ullmann, J. W., Byrd, L. A., & Thompson, C. T. COMBUSTION-DISSOLUTION EXPERIMENTS WITH IRRADIATED GRAPHITE-BASE REACTOR FUEL CONTAINING CARBON-COATED THORIUM-URANIUM DICARBIDE PARTICLES. United States. https://doi.org/10.2172/4129321
Ferris, L. M., Warren, K. S., Ullmann, J. W., Byrd, L. A., and Thompson, C. T. Fri . "COMBUSTION-DISSOLUTION EXPERIMENTS WITH IRRADIATED GRAPHITE-BASE REACTOR FUEL CONTAINING CARBON-COATED THORIUM-URANIUM DICARBIDE PARTICLES". United States. https://doi.org/10.2172/4129321. https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/4129321.
@article{osti_4129321,
title = {COMBUSTION-DISSOLUTION EXPERIMENTS WITH IRRADIATED GRAPHITE-BASE REACTOR FUEL CONTAINING CARBON-COATED THORIUM-URANIUM DICARBIDE PARTICLES},
author = {Ferris, L. M. and Warren, K. S. and Ullmann, J. W. and Byrd, L. A. and Thompson, C. T.},
abstractNote = {Four small pieces of simulated HTGR fuel (from the GAIL-IIIA loop experiment) irradiated to approximately 10,000 Mwd/metric ton (U + Th) were burned in oxygen for 5 hr to determine fission product volatility and dissolubility of the ash. Two of the fuel pieces (C-coated Th-U dicarbide particles dispersed in a graphite matrix; Th/U ratio of about 2.5) were burned at 800 deg C; the other two at about 1200 deg C. Essentially no uranium, thorium, zirconium, or rare earths volatilized in any experiment. 0,reater than 78% of the ruthenium was volatile at 800 deg C and 97 to 99% at 1200 deg C. About 25 to 35% of the cesium vaporized at 800 deg C and 67 to 88% at 1200 deg C. The ThO/sub 2/--U/sub 3/O/sub 8/ combustion ash from the two 800 deg C runs was completely dissolved in 7 hr in refluxing 13M HNO/sub 3/--0.04M HF--0.04M Al(NO/sub 3/)/sub 3/; the final solutions were about 0.5M in Th. The ash from the 1200 deg C runs was slightly more refractory. In one case complete dissolution was achieved; but, in the other, only 97% was dissolved in the 7-hr period. The remaining 3% dissolved in a second 7-hr digestion with fresh reagent. The results of these preliminary experiments indicate that a Burn-Dissolve process for irradiated graphite-base reactor fuels is chemically feasible. (auth)},
doi = {10.2172/4129321},
url = {https://www.osti.gov/biblio/4129321}, journal = {},
number = ,
volume = ,
place = {United States},
year = {1963},
month = {9}
}