skip to main content
OSTI.GOV title logo U.S. Department of Energy
Office of Scientific and Technical Information

Title: Quantitative analysis of beam delivery parameters and treatment process time for proton beam therapy

Abstract

Purpose: To evaluate patient census, equipment clinical availability, maximum daily treatment capacity, use factor for major beam delivery parameters, and treatment process time for actual treatments delivered by proton therapy systems. Methods: The authors have been recording all beam delivery parameters, including delivered dose, energy, range, spread-out Bragg peak widths, gantry angles, and couch angles for every treatment field in an electronic medical record system. We analyzed delivery system downtimes that had been recorded for every equipment failure and associated incidents. These data were used to evaluate the use factor of beam delivery parameters, the size of the patient census, and the equipment clinical availability of the facility. The duration of each treatment session from patient walk-in and to patient walk-out of the treatment room was measured for 82 patients with cancers at various sites. Results: The yearly average equipment clinical availability in the last 3 yrs (June 2007-August 2010) was 97%, which exceeded the target of 95%. Approximately 2200 patients had been treated as of August 2010. The major disease sites were genitourinary (49%), thoracic (25%), central nervous system (22%), and gastrointestinal (2%). Beams have been delivered in approximately 8300 treatment fields. The use factor for six beam deliverymore » parameters was also evaluated. Analysis of the treatment process times indicated that approximately 80% of this time was spent for patient and equipment setup. The other 20% was spent waiting for beam delivery and beam on. The total treatment process time can be expressed by a quadratic polynomial of the number of fields per session. The maximum daily treatment capacity of our facility using the current treatment processes was estimated to be 133 {+-} 35 patients. Conclusions: This analysis shows that the facility has operated at a high performance level and has treated a large number of patients with a variety of diseases. The use factor of beam delivery parameters varies by disease site. Further improvements in efficiency may be realized in the equipment- and patient-related processes of treatment.« less

Authors:
; ; ; ; ;  [1];  [2]
  1. Departments of Radiation Physics and Radiation Oncology, University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77030 (United States)
  2. (United States)
Publication Date:
OSTI Identifier:
22098574
Resource Type:
Journal Article
Journal Name:
Medical Physics
Additional Journal Information:
Journal Volume: 38; Journal Issue: 7; Other Information: (c) 2011 American Association of Physicists in Medicine; Country of input: International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA); Journal ID: ISSN 0094-2405
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
62 RADIOLOGY AND NUCLEAR MEDICINE; AVAILABILITY; BRAGG CURVE; CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM; DATA PROCESSING; DELIVERY; EFFICIENCY; ENERGY RANGE; EQUIPMENT; FAILURES; MEDICAL RECORDS; NEOPLASMS; PATIENTS; PROTON BEAMS; PROTONS; RADIATION DOSES; RADIOTHERAPY

Citation Formats

Suzuki, Kazumichi, Gillin, Michael T., Sahoo, Narayan, Zhu, X. Ronald, Lee, Andrew K., Lippy, Denise, and The Proton Therapy Center Houston, Ltd., L.L.P., 1840 Old Spanish Trail, Houston, Texas 77054. Quantitative analysis of beam delivery parameters and treatment process time for proton beam therapy. United States: N. p., 2011. Web. doi:10.1118/1.3604153.
Suzuki, Kazumichi, Gillin, Michael T., Sahoo, Narayan, Zhu, X. Ronald, Lee, Andrew K., Lippy, Denise, & The Proton Therapy Center Houston, Ltd., L.L.P., 1840 Old Spanish Trail, Houston, Texas 77054. Quantitative analysis of beam delivery parameters and treatment process time for proton beam therapy. United States. doi:10.1118/1.3604153.
Suzuki, Kazumichi, Gillin, Michael T., Sahoo, Narayan, Zhu, X. Ronald, Lee, Andrew K., Lippy, Denise, and The Proton Therapy Center Houston, Ltd., L.L.P., 1840 Old Spanish Trail, Houston, Texas 77054. Fri . "Quantitative analysis of beam delivery parameters and treatment process time for proton beam therapy". United States. doi:10.1118/1.3604153.
@article{osti_22098574,
title = {Quantitative analysis of beam delivery parameters and treatment process time for proton beam therapy},
author = {Suzuki, Kazumichi and Gillin, Michael T. and Sahoo, Narayan and Zhu, X. Ronald and Lee, Andrew K. and Lippy, Denise and The Proton Therapy Center Houston, Ltd., L.L.P., 1840 Old Spanish Trail, Houston, Texas 77054},
abstractNote = {Purpose: To evaluate patient census, equipment clinical availability, maximum daily treatment capacity, use factor for major beam delivery parameters, and treatment process time for actual treatments delivered by proton therapy systems. Methods: The authors have been recording all beam delivery parameters, including delivered dose, energy, range, spread-out Bragg peak widths, gantry angles, and couch angles for every treatment field in an electronic medical record system. We analyzed delivery system downtimes that had been recorded for every equipment failure and associated incidents. These data were used to evaluate the use factor of beam delivery parameters, the size of the patient census, and the equipment clinical availability of the facility. The duration of each treatment session from patient walk-in and to patient walk-out of the treatment room was measured for 82 patients with cancers at various sites. Results: The yearly average equipment clinical availability in the last 3 yrs (June 2007-August 2010) was 97%, which exceeded the target of 95%. Approximately 2200 patients had been treated as of August 2010. The major disease sites were genitourinary (49%), thoracic (25%), central nervous system (22%), and gastrointestinal (2%). Beams have been delivered in approximately 8300 treatment fields. The use factor for six beam delivery parameters was also evaluated. Analysis of the treatment process times indicated that approximately 80% of this time was spent for patient and equipment setup. The other 20% was spent waiting for beam delivery and beam on. The total treatment process time can be expressed by a quadratic polynomial of the number of fields per session. The maximum daily treatment capacity of our facility using the current treatment processes was estimated to be 133 {+-} 35 patients. Conclusions: This analysis shows that the facility has operated at a high performance level and has treated a large number of patients with a variety of diseases. The use factor of beam delivery parameters varies by disease site. Further improvements in efficiency may be realized in the equipment- and patient-related processes of treatment.},
doi = {10.1118/1.3604153},
journal = {Medical Physics},
issn = {0094-2405},
number = 7,
volume = 38,
place = {United States},
year = {2011},
month = {7}
}