skip to main content
OSTI.GOV title logo U.S. Department of Energy
Office of Scientific and Technical Information

Title: The Project for the High Energy Materials Science Beamline at Petra III

Abstract

The high energy materials science beamline will be among the first fourteen beamlines planned to be operational in 2009 at the new third generation synchrotron light source Petra III at DESY, Germany. The operation and funding of this beamline is assured by GKSS. 70% of the beamline will be dedicated to materials science. The remaining 30% are reserved for physics and are covered by DESY. The materials science activities will be concentrating on three intersecting topics which are industrial, applied, and fundamental research. The beamline will combine three main features: Firstly, the high flux, fast data acquisition systems, and the beamline infrastructure will allow carrying out complex and highly dynamic in-situ experiments. Secondly, a high flexibility in beam shaping will be available, fully exploiting the high brilliance of the source. Thirdly, the beamline will provide the possibility to merge in one experiment different analytical techniques such as diffraction and tomography.

Authors:
; ; ;  [1]
  1. GKSS-Research Centre Geesthacht GmbH, Max-Planck-Strasse, 21502 Geesthacht (Germany)
Publication Date:
OSTI Identifier:
21052639
Resource Type:
Journal Article
Resource Relation:
Journal Name: AIP Conference Proceedings; Journal Volume: 879; Journal Issue: 1; Conference: 9. international conference on synchrotron radiation instrumentation, Daegu (Korea, Republic of), 28 May - 2 Jun 2006; Other Information: DOI: 10.1063/1.2436182; (c) 2007 American Institute of Physics; Country of input: International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
43 PARTICLE ACCELERATORS; BEAM DYNAMICS; BEAM PRODUCTION; BEAM SHAPING; DATA ACQUISITION SYSTEMS; FLEXIBILITY; LIGHT SOURCES; OPERATION; PHOTON BEAMS; SYNCHROTRON RADIATION; X RADIATION; X-RAY DIFFRACTION

Citation Formats

Martins, R. V., Lippmann, T., Beckmann, F., and Schreyer, A. The Project for the High Energy Materials Science Beamline at Petra III. United States: N. p., 2007. Web. doi:10.1063/1.2436182.
Martins, R. V., Lippmann, T., Beckmann, F., & Schreyer, A. The Project for the High Energy Materials Science Beamline at Petra III. United States. doi:10.1063/1.2436182.
Martins, R. V., Lippmann, T., Beckmann, F., and Schreyer, A. Fri . "The Project for the High Energy Materials Science Beamline at Petra III". United States. doi:10.1063/1.2436182.
@article{osti_21052639,
title = {The Project for the High Energy Materials Science Beamline at Petra III},
author = {Martins, R. V. and Lippmann, T. and Beckmann, F. and Schreyer, A.},
abstractNote = {The high energy materials science beamline will be among the first fourteen beamlines planned to be operational in 2009 at the new third generation synchrotron light source Petra III at DESY, Germany. The operation and funding of this beamline is assured by GKSS. 70% of the beamline will be dedicated to materials science. The remaining 30% are reserved for physics and are covered by DESY. The materials science activities will be concentrating on three intersecting topics which are industrial, applied, and fundamental research. The beamline will combine three main features: Firstly, the high flux, fast data acquisition systems, and the beamline infrastructure will allow carrying out complex and highly dynamic in-situ experiments. Secondly, a high flexibility in beam shaping will be available, fully exploiting the high brilliance of the source. Thirdly, the beamline will provide the possibility to merge in one experiment different analytical techniques such as diffraction and tomography.},
doi = {10.1063/1.2436182},
journal = {AIP Conference Proceedings},
number = 1,
volume = 879,
place = {United States},
year = {Fri Jan 19 00:00:00 EST 2007},
month = {Fri Jan 19 00:00:00 EST 2007}
}
  • The HEMS Beamline at the German high-brilliance synchrotron radiation storage ring PETRA III is fully tunable between 30 and 250 keV and optimized for sub-micrometer focusing. Approximately 70 % of the beamtime will be dedicated to Materials Research. Fundamental research will encompass metallurgy, physics and chemistry with first experiments planned for the investigation of the relationship between macroscopic and micro-structural properties of polycrystalline materials, grain-grain-interactions, and the development of smart materials or processes. For this purpose a 3D-microsctructure-mapper has been designed. Applied research for manufacturing process optimization will benefit from high flux in combination with ultra-fast detector systems allowing complexmore » and highly dynamic in-situ studies of micro-structural transformations, e.g. during welding processes. The beamline infrastructure allows accommodation of large and heavy user provided equipment. Experiments targeting the industrial user community will be based on well established techniques with standardized evaluation, allowing full service measurements, e.g. for tomography and texture determination. The beamline consists of a five meter in-vacuum undulator, a general optics hutch, an in-house test facility and three independent experimental hutches working alternately, plus additional set-up and storage space for long-term experiments. HEMS is under commissioning as one of the first beamlines running at PETRA III.« less
  • The photon beamline frontend design for the new insertion device (ID) beamlines of the PETRA III extension project will be presented. The design is based on the concepts developed for the photon beamline frontends at PETRA III. This generic design approach minimized the number of specialized components for all beamlines. The girder concept with kinematic mounts at each girder allowed a fast and reliable installation phase. The extension beamlines are located in two new additional buildings. There will be 4 sectors with two undulator IDs in each sector with a canting angle of 20 mrad between the insertion devices. Additionally,more » two straight sections and a bending magnet chamber will be modified: one straight section will be transformed to a side station sector, the straight section with the 40 m long damping wiggler will be used as a hard X-ray source, and the bending magnet will serve as a soft-X-ray source.« less
  • The GKSS Forschungszentrum Geesthacht, Germany, will setup a new high-energy beamline specialized for texture, strain and imaging measurements for materials science at the Hamburger Synchrotronstrahlungslabor HASYLAB of the Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY. Four different experiments will be installed at the new wiggler HARWI-II. The high pressure cell will be run by the GFZ Potsdam, Germany, the high-energy diffractometer together with a microtomography camera will be run by the GKSS. A further station will allow space for the diffraction enhanced imaging setup. The optics will provide for a small white beam (0.5 mm x 0.5 mm) and a large monochromatic X-ray beammore » (50 mm x 10 mm) with an energy range of 20 to 250 keV.« less
  • The conversion of the PETRA storage ring at DESY to a third generation synchrotron radiation light source poses a challenge to the design of the beam transport system. The total power in the white beam will be as high as 7.5kW in the case of the 5m long undulator at 100mA. The power density will be 476 W/mm2 at 20m from the source. Upgrades to a beam current of 200mA have to be accounted for in the design of the beamline components. For the beam transport between the undulator and the experimental hall, the design of a generic beamline ismore » presented. It contains all elements which are needed to guide the beam to the experiment. This generic beamline consists of the estimated maximum of components for this purpose. Special experimental needs may reduce the number of proposed devices in the generic part and add special optical devices close to the experiment, e. g. strong focusing. The paper focuses on the girder concept for all major beam transport components and the collimating shutter system which has to deal with the high power density of the PETRA III undulators.« less
  • We present the design and instrumentation of a novel holography endstation for the P10 coherence beamline at PETRA III at DESY. The experimental imaging scheme is based on a highly coherent and divergent (cone) beam illumination, achieved by fixed curvature focusing mirrors with additional spatial and coherence filtering by x-ray waveguides. The optical elements along the beam path and the instrument under construction are described. Preliminary results obtained in a similar setting under comparable parameters are given as a benchmark, and first simulations of one of the two mirrors are presented to study the effect of imperfections on the fieldmore » distribution in the focal plane.« less