skip to main content
OSTI.GOV title logo U.S. Department of Energy
Office of Scientific and Technical Information

Title: TA-03-0035 Press Building – D&D

Abstract

The Press Building was constructed in 1954 with 15,073 ft 2 of floor space. It was built to house a 5000 ton double action Lake Erie hydraulic press and a uranium casting area. Missions included uranium activities associated with the Nuclear Weapons and Rover Rocket programs. At the end of the Rover program, the building continued to support various uranium materials science projects until the building was placed into a cold and dark status in 2013 and then was demolished in 2017. The building interior, the press, and associated systems were radiological contaminated and disposed of as low level waste. The demolition of this building opened up valuable real estate in the TA-3 area for the future construction of an ~11,000 Sq. Ft. Biosafety Level 2 laboratory and office building. This building will support the ongoing Bioscience Division mission at the laboratory.

Authors:
 [1]
  1. Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
Publication Date:
Research Org.:
Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
Sponsoring Org.:
USDOE National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA)
OSTI Identifier:
1407863
Report Number(s):
LA-UR-17-30093
DOE Contract Number:  
AC52-06NA25396
Resource Type:
Technical Report
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
73 NUCLEAR PHYSICS AND RADIATION PHYSICS

Citation Formats

Hasenack, Marvin Leroy. TA-03-0035 Press Building – D&D. United States: N. p., 2017. Web. doi:10.2172/1407863.
Hasenack, Marvin Leroy. TA-03-0035 Press Building – D&D. United States. doi:10.2172/1407863.
Hasenack, Marvin Leroy. Thu . "TA-03-0035 Press Building – D&D". United States. doi:10.2172/1407863. https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1407863.
@article{osti_1407863,
title = {TA-03-0035 Press Building – D&D},
author = {Hasenack, Marvin Leroy},
abstractNote = {The Press Building was constructed in 1954 with 15,073 ft2 of floor space. It was built to house a 5000 ton double action Lake Erie hydraulic press and a uranium casting area. Missions included uranium activities associated with the Nuclear Weapons and Rover Rocket programs. At the end of the Rover program, the building continued to support various uranium materials science projects until the building was placed into a cold and dark status in 2013 and then was demolished in 2017. The building interior, the press, and associated systems were radiological contaminated and disposed of as low level waste. The demolition of this building opened up valuable real estate in the TA-3 area for the future construction of an ~11,000 Sq. Ft. Biosafety Level 2 laboratory and office building. This building will support the ongoing Bioscience Division mission at the laboratory.},
doi = {10.2172/1407863},
journal = {},
number = ,
volume = ,
place = {United States},
year = {Thu Nov 02 00:00:00 EDT 2017},
month = {Thu Nov 02 00:00:00 EDT 2017}
}

Technical Report:

Save / Share: