skip to main content
OSTI.GOV title logo U.S. Department of Energy
Office of Scientific and Technical Information

Title: Dissolution of the rare-earth mineral bastnaesite by acidic amide ionic liquid for recovery of critical

Abstract

Rare-earth elements provide the cornerstones to clean sustainable energy and modern technologies such as computers, communications, and transportation. As such, the recovery of rare earths (REs) from minerals such as bastnaesite remains important for modern times. As the light lanthanides (La–Nd) constitute the majority (typically > 98.7 %) of the REs in bastnaesite with the heavy REs (Sm–Lu) contributing the remainder (approximately 1.3 %), an enrichment of heavier REs may serve as an effective means of assisting rare-earth recovery. Such an extractive metallurgy process involving ionic liquids (ILs) leads to an enrichment of heavy REs by nearly an order of magnitude. The acidic IL N,N-dimethylacetamidium bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide (DMAH+NTf 2 ) in the IL 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide (BMIM +NTf 2 ) dissolves froth flotation bastnaesite, synthetic bastnaesite analogues (RECO 3F), RE 2O 3, and RE 2(CO 3) 3 minerals. Furthermore, an overall reaction for the dissolution of bastnaesite is proposed for this IL system. This IL system may provide the initial stages of a greater RE separation scheme for bastnaesite froth flotation concentrates.

Authors:
 [1];  [1];  [2];  [1];  [1]
  1. Chemical Science Division, Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
  2. Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
Publication Date:
Research Org.:
Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
Sponsoring Org.:
USDOE Office of Science (SC)
OSTI Identifier:
1286945
DOE Contract Number:  
AC05-00OR22725
Resource Type:
Journal Article
Journal Name:
European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry
Additional Journal Information:
Journal Volume: 2015; Journal Issue: 26; Journal ID: ISSN 1434-1948
Publisher:
ChemPubSoc Europe
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY

Citation Formats

Dai, Sheng, Freiderich, John W., Luo, Huimin, Moyer, Bruce A., and Stankovich, Joseph J. Dissolution of the rare-earth mineral bastnaesite by acidic amide ionic liquid for recovery of critical. United States: N. p., 2015. Web. doi:10.1002/ejic.201500509.
Dai, Sheng, Freiderich, John W., Luo, Huimin, Moyer, Bruce A., & Stankovich, Joseph J. Dissolution of the rare-earth mineral bastnaesite by acidic amide ionic liquid for recovery of critical. United States. doi:10.1002/ejic.201500509.
Dai, Sheng, Freiderich, John W., Luo, Huimin, Moyer, Bruce A., and Stankovich, Joseph J. Wed . "Dissolution of the rare-earth mineral bastnaesite by acidic amide ionic liquid for recovery of critical". United States. doi:10.1002/ejic.201500509.
@article{osti_1286945,
title = {Dissolution of the rare-earth mineral bastnaesite by acidic amide ionic liquid for recovery of critical},
author = {Dai, Sheng and Freiderich, John W. and Luo, Huimin and Moyer, Bruce A. and Stankovich, Joseph J.},
abstractNote = {Rare-earth elements provide the cornerstones to clean sustainable energy and modern technologies such as computers, communications, and transportation. As such, the recovery of rare earths (REs) from minerals such as bastnaesite remains important for modern times. As the light lanthanides (La–Nd) constitute the majority (typically > 98.7 %) of the REs in bastnaesite with the heavy REs (Sm–Lu) contributing the remainder (approximately 1.3 %), an enrichment of heavier REs may serve as an effective means of assisting rare-earth recovery. Such an extractive metallurgy process involving ionic liquids (ILs) leads to an enrichment of heavy REs by nearly an order of magnitude. The acidic IL N,N-dimethylacetamidium bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide (DMAH+NTf2–) in the IL 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide (BMIM+NTf2–) dissolves froth flotation bastnaesite, synthetic bastnaesite analogues (RECO3F), RE2O3, and RE2(CO3)3 minerals. Furthermore, an overall reaction for the dissolution of bastnaesite is proposed for this IL system. This IL system may provide the initial stages of a greater RE separation scheme for bastnaesite froth flotation concentrates.},
doi = {10.1002/ejic.201500509},
journal = {European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry},
issn = {1434-1948},
number = 26,
volume = 2015,
place = {United States},
year = {2015},
month = {8}
}