skip to main content
OSTI.GOV title logo U.S. Department of Energy
Office of Scientific and Technical Information

Title: BLV-2011 Workshop, September 22-24, 2011. Final Report

Abstract

The 3rd International 3-days Workshop "Baryon and Lepton Number Violations: BLV-2011" took place at Gatlinburg, TN for September 22-24, 2011. Workshop was organized by the International Organizing Committee and had received advice from the International Program Advisory Committee (see Appendix 1). Workshop was co-chaired by Pavel Fileviez Perez (University of Wisconsin) for theory and Yuri Kamyshkov (University of Tennessee) for experiment and local organization. Workshop was supported and sponsored by the University of Tennessee, Indiana University, North Carolina State University together with TUNL, and by the HEP office of the Department of Energy. DOE financial support in this sponsoring grant was $8,000; that was 23% of the overall budget of the Workshop. Remaining 77% were provided by the sponsoring Universities. Workshop sponsors including DOE are shown on the Workshop webpage. There were 90 workshop participants with 52 from US and remaining from Bosnia/Herzegovina (1), Brazil (1), China (1), Columbia (1), France (1), Germany (10), Italy (9), Japan (4), Russian Federation (3), Slovenia (2), Spain (4), and Switzerland (1). Among Workshop participants there were 17 postdocs and young researchers and 11 graduate students. Total 67 talks and 14 posters were presented at Workshop during 3 days of sessions. Appendix 2 showsmore » the list of talks and posters. Main topic of the Workshop was Baryon and Lepton number violation that has become a vital part of the current discussions of the physics beyond the Standard Model (SM), specifically in connection with understanding the nature of neutrinos, origin of matter in universe, as well as possible Grand Unification of matter and forces. The goal of the Workshop was to have a focused comprehensive discussion of the Baryon (B) and Lepton (L) number violating processes, and possible new physics combining violation of both, including (B-L) violation, as a probe of unification, baryo- and lepto-genesis, Left-Right symmetry restoration, matter-antimatter asymmetry, sterile matter, mirror matter, dark matter, low-scale gravity, etc. Related experimental observations to these physics aspects included searches for Majorana neutrinos (2βΟν decays), proton decays, neutron-antineutron oscillations, μe transitions, mirror and sterile matter transformations, and possible other new phenomena that can be seen at LHC and future colliders. Combination of theoretical and experimental discussions at the Workshop was most stimulating for germinating of new theoretical ideas and promoting new experimental efforts in particle physics. As one of new developments stemmed from this Workshop was an idea of performing new neutron-antineutron transformation search at the Project X accelerator to be built at Fermilab. BLV2011 Workshop website: http://www.phys.utk.edu/BLV2011/ contains all the talks delivered at this Workshop. Agenda of the Workshop can be found in Appendix 2 to this report. During the Workshop all presentation talks were available at the web in parallel with the talks. This made the discussions of the new ideas and results at the meeting more prompt and efficient. Previous Workshops on Baryon and Lepton Number Violation search in 2007 at LBL and 2009 at the University of Wisconsin were organized essentially by the same initiative group of people as this Workshop. We are observing increased interest in the community to this physics topic. Next BLV-2013 Workshop now at bi-annual basis is being organized at the Max Plank Institute at Heidelberg by Pavel Fileviez Perez.« less

Authors:
 [1];  [2];  [3];  [4]
  1. Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN (United States)
  2. Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison, WI (United States)
  3. Indiana Univ., Bloomington, IN (United States)
  4. North Carolina State Univ., Raleigh, NC (United States)
Publication Date:
Research Org.:
Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN (United States)
Sponsoring Org.:
USDOE Office of Science (SC), High Energy Physics (HEP) (SC-25)
OSTI Identifier:
1050842
Report Number(s):
DOE-SC0006567
DOE Contract Number:  
SC0006567
Resource Type:
Conference
Resource Relation:
Conference: Baryon and Lepton Number Violations (BLV-2011), Gatlinburg, TN (United States), 22-24 Sep 2011
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
72 PHYSICS OF ELEMENTARY PARTICLES AND FIELDS; Workshop; Particle Physics; Beyond Standard Model

Citation Formats

Kamyshkov, Y. A., Perez, P. Fileviez, Snow, W. M., and Young, A. R. BLV-2011 Workshop, September 22-24, 2011. Final Report. United States: N. p., 2011. Web.
Kamyshkov, Y. A., Perez, P. Fileviez, Snow, W. M., & Young, A. R. BLV-2011 Workshop, September 22-24, 2011. Final Report. United States.
Kamyshkov, Y. A., Perez, P. Fileviez, Snow, W. M., and Young, A. R. Sat . "BLV-2011 Workshop, September 22-24, 2011. Final Report". United States. https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1050842.
@article{osti_1050842,
title = {BLV-2011 Workshop, September 22-24, 2011. Final Report},
author = {Kamyshkov, Y. A. and Perez, P. Fileviez and Snow, W. M. and Young, A. R.},
abstractNote = {The 3rd International 3-days Workshop "Baryon and Lepton Number Violations: BLV-2011" took place at Gatlinburg, TN for September 22-24, 2011. Workshop was organized by the International Organizing Committee and had received advice from the International Program Advisory Committee (see Appendix 1). Workshop was co-chaired by Pavel Fileviez Perez (University of Wisconsin) for theory and Yuri Kamyshkov (University of Tennessee) for experiment and local organization. Workshop was supported and sponsored by the University of Tennessee, Indiana University, North Carolina State University together with TUNL, and by the HEP office of the Department of Energy. DOE financial support in this sponsoring grant was $8,000; that was 23% of the overall budget of the Workshop. Remaining 77% were provided by the sponsoring Universities. Workshop sponsors including DOE are shown on the Workshop webpage. There were 90 workshop participants with 52 from US and remaining from Bosnia/Herzegovina (1), Brazil (1), China (1), Columbia (1), France (1), Germany (10), Italy (9), Japan (4), Russian Federation (3), Slovenia (2), Spain (4), and Switzerland (1). Among Workshop participants there were 17 postdocs and young researchers and 11 graduate students. Total 67 talks and 14 posters were presented at Workshop during 3 days of sessions. Appendix 2 shows the list of talks and posters. Main topic of the Workshop was Baryon and Lepton number violation that has become a vital part of the current discussions of the physics beyond the Standard Model (SM), specifically in connection with understanding the nature of neutrinos, origin of matter in universe, as well as possible Grand Unification of matter and forces. The goal of the Workshop was to have a focused comprehensive discussion of the Baryon (B) and Lepton (L) number violating processes, and possible new physics combining violation of both, including (B-L) violation, as a probe of unification, baryo- and lepto-genesis, Left-Right symmetry restoration, matter-antimatter asymmetry, sterile matter, mirror matter, dark matter, low-scale gravity, etc. Related experimental observations to these physics aspects included searches for Majorana neutrinos (2βΟν decays), proton decays, neutron-antineutron oscillations, μe transitions, mirror and sterile matter transformations, and possible other new phenomena that can be seen at LHC and future colliders. Combination of theoretical and experimental discussions at the Workshop was most stimulating for germinating of new theoretical ideas and promoting new experimental efforts in particle physics. As one of new developments stemmed from this Workshop was an idea of performing new neutron-antineutron transformation search at the Project X accelerator to be built at Fermilab. BLV2011 Workshop website: http://www.phys.utk.edu/BLV2011/ contains all the talks delivered at this Workshop. Agenda of the Workshop can be found in Appendix 2 to this report. During the Workshop all presentation talks were available at the web in parallel with the talks. This made the discussions of the new ideas and results at the meeting more prompt and efficient. Previous Workshops on Baryon and Lepton Number Violation search in 2007 at LBL and 2009 at the University of Wisconsin were organized essentially by the same initiative group of people as this Workshop. We are observing increased interest in the community to this physics topic. Next BLV-2013 Workshop now at bi-annual basis is being organized at the Max Plank Institute at Heidelberg by Pavel Fileviez Perez.},
doi = {},
journal = {},
number = ,
volume = ,
place = {United States},
year = {2011},
month = {9}
}

Conference:
Other availability
Please see Document Availability for additional information on obtaining the full-text document. Library patrons may search WorldCat to identify libraries that hold this conference proceeding.

Save / Share: