OSTI coordinates the STI Program (STIP), a complex-wide collaboration across DOE programs, field offices, national laboratories, and contractors to disseminate and preserve the Department’s STI. In addition to text, OSTI recognizes the growing need to capture scientific research data and pursues this mission responsibility. OSTI builds on existing partnerships and seeks strategic alliances across a wide range of communities, including DOE, interagency, international, and private sector, to increase access to the world’s research and development.
From developing and publishing the world-renowned Nuclear Science Abstracts in 1948 to launching the online WorldWideScience.org in 2007, OSTI has been a first-adopter of promising technologies. Today OSTI is developing new and better ways to speed access to larger volumes of high quality, more relevant, and authoritative scientific content. Through its commitment to innovation and its focus on producing intuitive and easy-to-use applications, OSTI is laying a solid foundation for the future.
- Ensuring appropriate transparency of and open access to DOE’s STI to advance science and technology as well as preservation of a permanent DOE STI repository.
- Collaborating with stakeholders to establish STI requirements and responsibilities to ensure optimal availability of Departmental STI to the varied customer segments, within applicable laws and Departmental requirements.
- Maintaining information management systems and web-based databases to enable full use of DOE-funded STI and provides a suite of web products and services for publicly releasable STI, as well as systems to manage protected categories of STI as appropriate.
- Managing domestic, interagency, and international STI exchanges to ensure DOE and U.S. access to national and global scientific and technical advances.
- Supporting program-specific STI management efforts by offering special support services upon request to DOE organizations that provide funding to cover incremental costs of the requested service(s).
The OSTI-STIP Liaison
The STIP Liaison of the Office of Assistant Director for Program Integration at OSTI serves as the representative and advocate for the STIP community.
The Liaison is normally involved in activities or discussions concerning:
- STIP collaboration business
- Cross-cutting STIP issue resolutions
- STI order and guide
- Performance objectives and measures
- STI policies and procedures
- STIP special focus teams
- E-Link submission and reporting
- STIP planning and reporting
Throughout its history, OSTI has worked with representatives across the agency—in laboratories, field offices, Headquarters—to facilitate access to information and to promulgate policy and best practices for STI management. OSTI will work to broaden its complex-wide collaboration by increasing communications beyond the designated STI points of contact and engaging others across DOE in projects that advance STIP goals.
For more information, contact an OSTI-STIP Liaison .