Benefits of Indexed Metadata and STI Products
OSTI indexes metadata and STI products so the information is searchable, allowing users to retrieve relevant results in an effective and efficient manner.
- Indexing allows STI products to be included in appropriate databases for limited or unlimited access.
- Indexed information provides a means of locating and retrieving STI products from OSTI databases (e.g.SciTech Connect) and external search engines (e.g. Google, Bing, etc.);
- Through the use of an alerting system, indexing allows users to identify STI products as they become available;
- Allows users to determine granularity within data resources;
- By using authority controls whenever possible, indexing provides more precise retrieval
STI Submitters Contribute Metadata for Indexing
The metadata and full-text STI documents are provided to OSTI by the STI submitters for inclusion as appropriate in SciTech Connect and Science Research Connection. The fields below are particularly valuable identifiers that are indexed in all three databases.