Separation of heavy metals: Removal from industrial wastewaters and contaminated soil
This paper reviews the applicable separation technologies relating to removal of heavy metals from solution and from soils in order to present the state-of-the-art in the field. Each technology is briefly described and typical operating conditions and technology performance are presented. Technologies described include chemical precipitation (including hydroxide, carbonate, or sulfide reagents), coagulation/flocculation, ion exchange, solvent extraction, extraction with chelating agents, complexation, electrochemical operation, cementation, membrane operations, evaporation, adsorption, solidification/stabilization, and vitrification. Several case histories are described, with a focus on waste reduction techniques and remediation of lead-contaminated soils. The paper concludes with a short discussion of important research needs in the field.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
- ANL/ES/CP-78514; CONF-9303107--1
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Resource Relation:
- Conference: International conference on emerging separation technologies for metals and fuels, Palm Coast, FL (United States), 13-28 Mar 1993
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Lab., IL (United States). Energy Systems Div.
- Sponsoring Org:
- DOE; USDOE, Washington, DC (United States)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 54 ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES; 32 ENERGY CONSERVATION, CONSUMPTION, AND UTILIZATION; LEAD; REMOVAL; METALS; SEPARATION PROCESSES; SOILS; REMEDIAL ACTION; WASTE WATER; WATER TREATMENT; ADSORPTION; CHELATES; CHEMICAL REACTION KINETICS; FLOCCULATION; INDUSTRIAL WASTES; ION EXCHANGE; MEMBRANES; PRECIPITATION; VITRIFICATION; COMPLEXES; ELEMENTS; HYDROGEN COMPOUNDS; KINETICS; LIQUID WASTES; OXYGEN COMPOUNDS; REACTION KINETICS; SORPTION; WASTES; WATER 540220* -- Environment, Terrestrial-- Chemicals Monitoring & Transport-- (1990-); 320305 -- Energy Conservation, Consumption, & Utilization-- Industrial & Agricultural Processes-- Industrial Waste Management
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.