Uranium from Seawater Marine Testing Program at the University of Miami’s Broad Key Island Research Station
Marine testing at Broad Key Island (BKI), FL was conducted to validate adsorption capacity and adsorption kinetics results obtained for several formulations of the ORNL amidoxime-based polymeric adsorbents in Sequim Bay, WA in another location with different oceanographic and water quality conditions (e.g. temperature, dissolved organic carbon, salinity and trace element content). Broad Key is a small island off the southeast coast of Florida at the southern end of Biscayne Bay, approximately 30 miles south of Miami. The Rosensteil School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences (RSMAS) of the University of Miami operates a research station on the island. Flow-through column and recirculating flume experiments were conducted at BKI using ambient filtered seawater and identical exposure systems as were used at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory’s (PNNL) Marine Sciences laboratory (MSL). Testing was conducted in two periods in FY 2015 and FY 2016 with five different amidoxime-based adsorbent materials, four produced by ORNL (AF1, AI8, AF8, and AF1-DMSO) and one by LCW technologies (LCW-10). All exposures were conducted at ambient seawater temperatures, with moderate temperature control on the ambient seawater to mitigate large daily swings in the seawater temperature.
- Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Sequim, WA (United States). Marine Sciences Lab.
- Univ. of Miami, FL (United States). Rosensteil School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Technical Report
- Research Org:
- Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Nuclear Energy (NE), Fuel Cycle Technologies (NE-5)
- Contributing Orgs:
- Univ. of Miami, FL (United States)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY Uranium; seawater; amidoxime; trace elements; Miami; University of Miami; Marine Sciences Laboratory
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.