In search of the elusive IrB2: Can mechanochemistry help?
We produced hexagonal ReB2-type IrB2 diboride and orthorhombic IrB monoboride phases, that were previously unknown and saw them produced by mechanochemical syntheses. High energy ball milling of elemental Ir and B powder for 30 h, followed by annealing of the powder at 1050 °C for 48 h, resulted in the formation of the desired phases. Both traditional laboratory and high resolution synchrotron X-ray diffraction (XRD) analyses were used for phase identification of the synthesized powder. Additionally, scanning electron microscopy and transmission electron microscopy were employed, along with XRD, to further characterize the microstructure of the phases produced.
- Univ. of Central Florida, Orlando, FL (United States). Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Univ. of Central Florida, Orlando, FL (United States). Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and Dept. of Physics
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Materials Science and Technology Division
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States). Advanced Photon Source
- AGH - Univ. of Science and Technology, Krakow (Poland)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Journal of Solid State Chemistry
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 233; Journal Issue: C; Journal ID: ISSN 0022-4596
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY Iridium diboride; Mechanochemistry; Ceramics; MECHANICAL-PROPERTIES; HEXAGONAL OSB2; CRYSTAL-STRUCTURES; OSMIUM DIBORIDE; IRIDIUM; BORIDES; HARD; 1ST-PRINCIPLES; ZIRCONIUM; PRESSURE
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.