Cosmic Reionization On Computers. Properties of the Post-reionization IGM
We present a comparison between several observational tests of the post-reionization IGM and the numerical simulations of reionization completed under the Cosmic Reionization On Computers (CROC) project. We show that CROC simulations reproduce "out-of-the-box" the observed distributions of Gunn-Peterson optical depths, underscoring the importance of self-consistent modeling of radiative transfer. We also show that CROC simulations match well the observed distributions of dark gaps from SDSS quasars. Finally, we introduce a novel statistical probe of the small-scale structure in the IGM: heights and widths of transmission peaks. Simulations match the peak height distributions reasonably well, but do not reproduce the observed abundance of wide peaks.
- Baltimore, Space Telescope Sci.
- Arizona U., Astron. Dept. - Steward Observ.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
- arXiv:1605.03183; FERMILAB-PUB-16-285-A
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Journal Article
- Resource Relation:
- Journal Name: Astrophys.J.
- Research Org:
- Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (FNAL), Batavia, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), High Energy Physics (HEP) (SC-25)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 79 ASTRONOMY AND ASTROPHYSICS
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.