Enhanced optical nonlinearities in the near-infrared using III-nitride heterostructures coupled to metamaterials
We use planar metamaterial resonators to enhance, by more than two orders of magnitude, the optical second harmonic generation, in the near infrared, obtained from intersubband transitions in III-Nitride heterostructures. The improvement arises from two factors: employing an asymmetric double quantum well design and aligning the resonators’ cross-polarized resonances with the intersubband transition energies. The resulting nonlinear metamaterial operates at wavelengths where single photon detection is available, and represents a new class of sources for quantum photonics related phenomena.
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States). Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Princeton Univ., NJ (United States). Electrical Engineering Dept.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 0003-6951; APPLAB; 641909
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Applied Physics Letters
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 107; Journal Issue: 15; Journal ID: ISSN 0003-6951
- American Institute of Physics (AIP)
- Research Org:
- Sandia National Laboratories (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 71 CLASSICAL AND QUANTUM MECHANICS, GENERAL PHYSICS
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.