Non-degenerate two-photon absorption in silicon waveguides. Analytical and experimental study
We theoretically and experimentally investigate the nonlinear evolution of two optical pulses in a silicon waveguide. We provide an analytic solution for the weak probe wave undergoing non-degenerate two-photon absorption (TPA) from the strong pump. At larger pump intensities, we employ a numerical solution to study the interplay between TPA and photo-generated free carriers. We develop a simple and powerful approach to extract and separate out the distinct loss contributions of TPA and free-carrier absorption from readily available experimental data. Our analysis accounts accurately for experimental results in silicon photonic crystal waveguides.
- Univ. of Sydney, NSW (Australia)
- Univ. of Sydney, NSW (Australia); Argonne National Lab., Argonne, IL (United States)
- Univ. of York, Heslington, York (United Kingdom)
- RMIT, VIC (Australia). School of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC02-06CH11357; CE110001018; DE120101329; DE120102069; FL120100029; EP/J01771X/1
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Optics Express
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 23; Journal Issue: 13; Journal ID: ISSN 1094-4087
- Optical Society of America (OSA)
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 71 CLASSICAL AND QUANTUM MECHANICS, GENERAL PHYSICS nonlinear optics, devices; nonlinear, four-wave mixing; Kerr effect; nonlinear optics, parametric processes; multiphoton processes
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.