Application of an online-coupled regional climate model, WRF-CAM5, over East Asia for examination of ice nucleation schemes. Part II. Sensitivity to heterogeneous ice nucleation parameterizations and dust emissions
Aerosol particles can affect cloud microphysical properties by serving as ice nuclei (IN). Large uncertainties exist in the ice nucleation parameterizations (INPs) used in current climate models. In this Part II paper, to examine the sensitivity of the model predictions to different heterogeneous INPs, WRF-CAM5 simulation using the INP of Niemand et al. (N12)  is conducted over East Asia for two full years, 2006 and 2011, and compared with simulation using the INP of Meyers et al. (M92) , which is the original INP used in CAM5. M92 calculates the nucleated ice particle concentration as a function of ice supersaturation, while N12 represents the nucleated ice particle concentration as a function of temperature and the number concentrations and surface areas of dust particles. Compared to M92, the WRF-CAM5 simulation with N12 produces significantly higher nucleated ice crystal number concentrations (ICNCs) in the northern domain where dust sources are located, leading to significantly higher cloud ice number and mass concentrations and ice water path, but the opposite is true in the southern domain where temperatures and moistures play a more important role in ice formation. Overall, the simulation with N12 gives lower downward shortwave radiation but higher downward longwave radiation,more »
- NCSU, Raleigh, NC (United States). Dept. of Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences.
- Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States). Atmospheric Science and Global Change Div. (ASGC).
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC05-76RL01830; SC0006695; KP1703000
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 3; Journal Issue: 3; Journal ID: ISSN 2225-1154
- Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute
- Research Org:
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 54 ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES WRF-CAM5; East Asia; ice nucleation parameterization; dust emissions; sensitivity study
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.