X-ray imaging and controlled solidification of Al-Cu alloys toward microstructures by design
X-ray imaging, which permits the microscopic visualization of metal alloy solidification dynamics, can be coupled with controlled solidification to create microstructures by design. This x-ray image shows a process-derived composite microstructure being made from a eutectic Al-17.1 at.%Cu alloy by successive solidification and remelting steps.
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States). Materials and Science and Technology Division.
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States). Advanced Photon Source.
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Photon Sciences.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Advanced Engineering Materials
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 17; Journal Issue: 4; Journal ID: ISSN 1438-1656
- Research Org:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.