Sealed rotors for in situ high temperature high pressure MAS NMR
Magic angle spinning (MAS) nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) investigations on heterogeneous samples containing solids, semi-solids, liquid and gases or a mixture of them under non-conventional conditions of a combined high pressure and high temperature, or cold temperature suffer from the unavailability of a perfectly sealed rotor. Here, we report the design of reusable and perfectly-sealed all-zircornia MAS rotors. The rotors are easy to use and are suitable for operation temperatures from below 0 to 250 °C and pressures up to 100 bar. As an example of potential applications we performed in situ MAS NMR investigations of AlPO₄-5 molecular sieve crystallization, a kinetic study of the cyclohexanol dehydration reaction using 13C MAS NMR, and an investigation of the metabolomics of intact biological tissue at low temperature using 1H HR-MAS NMR spectroscopy. The in situ MAS NMR experiments performed using the reported rotors allowed reproduction of the results from traditional batch reactions, while offering more detailed quantitative information at the molecular level, as demonstrated for the molecular sieve synthesis and activation energy measurements for cyclohexanol dehydration. The perfectly sealed rotor also shows promising application for metabolomics studies using 1H HR-MAS NMR.
- Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 1359-7345; CHCOFS; 47841; KC0302010
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC05-76RL01830; AC06-76RLO1830; NIEHS R01ES022176
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 51; Journal Issue: 70; Journal ID: ISSN 1359-7345
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- Research Org:
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States). Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL).
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 42 ENGINEERING Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.