Achieving large linear elasticity and high strength in bulk nanocompsite via synergistic effect
Elastic strain in bulk metallic materials is usually limited to only a fraction of 1%. Developing bulk metallic materials showing large linear elasticity and high strength has proven to be difficult. Here, based on the synergistic effect between nanowires and orientated martensite NiTi shape memory alloy, we developed an in-situ Nb nanowires -orientated martensitic NiTi matrix composite showing an ultra-large linear elastic strain of 4% and an ultrahigh yield strength of 1.8 GPa. This material also has a high mechanical energy storage efficiency of 96% and a high energy storage density of 36 J/cm³ that is almost one order of larger than that of spring steel. It is demonstrated that the synergistic effect allows the exceptional mechanical properties of nanowires to be harvested at macro scale and the mechanical properties of matrix to be greatly improved, resulting in these superior properties. This study provides new avenues for developing advanced composites with superior properties by using effective synergistic effect between components.
- China Univ. of Petroleum, Beijing (China). State Key Lab. of Heavy Oil Processing.
- Univ. of Western Australia, Crawley (Australia). School of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering.
- Northern Illinois Univ., De Kalb, IL (United States). Dept. of Physics.
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Scientific Reports
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 5; Journal ID: ISSN 2045-2322
- Nature Publishing Group
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Laboratory (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY composites; nanowires
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.