Band-Gap Engineering at a Semiconductor-Crystalline Oxide Interface
The epitaxial growth of crystalline oxides on semiconductors provides a pathway to introduce new functionalities to semiconductor devices. Key to integrating the functionalities of oxides onto semiconductors is controlling the band alignment at interfaces between the two materials. Here we apply principles of band gap engineering traditionally used at heterojunctions between conventional semiconductors to control the band offset between a single crystalline oxide and a semiconductor. Reactive molecular beam epitaxy is used to realize atomically abrupt and structurally coherent interfaces between SrZrxTi1-xO₃ and Ge, in which the band gap of the former is enhanced with Zr content x. We present structural and electrical characterization of SrZrxTi1-xO₃-Ge heterojunctions and demonstrate a type-I band offset can be achieved. These results demonstrate that band gap engineering can be exploited to realize functional semiconductor crystalline oxide heterojunctions.
- Univ. of Texas, Arlington, TX (United States). Dept. of Physics and Dept. of Electrical Engineering
- Univ. of Texas, Arlington, TX (United States). Dept. of Physics and Deptt of Materials Science and Engineering
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Center for Functional Nanomaterials; Nanjing Univ. (China). National Lab. of Solid State Microstructures and Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering
- Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States). Physical Sciences Div.
- Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States). Environmental Molecular Sciences Lab.
- Univ. of Texas, Arlington, TX (United States). Dept. of Physics
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Center for Functional Nanomaterials
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 2196-7350; KC0403020
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Advanced Materials Interfaces
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 2; Journal Issue: 4; Journal ID: ISSN 2196-7350
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 29 ENERGY PLANNING, POLICY, AND ECONOMY semiconductor; band-gap engineering; interface; complex oxides
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.