Synchronicity from synchronized chaos
The synchronization of loosely-coupled chaotic oscillators, a phenomenon investigated intensively for the last two decades, may realize the philosophical concept of “synchronicity”—the commonplace notion that related events mysteriously occur at the same time. When extended to continuous media and/or large discrete arrays, and when general (non-identical) correspondences are considered between states, intermittent synchronous relationships indeed become ubiquitous. Meaningful synchronicity follows naturally if meaningful events are identified with coherent structures, defined by internal synchronization between remote degrees of freedom; a condition that has been posited as necessary for synchronizability with an external system. The important case of synchronization between mind and matter is realized if mind is analogized to a computer model, synchronizing with a sporadically observed system, as in meteorological data assimilation. Evidence for the ubiquity of synchronization is reviewed along with recent proposals that: (1) synchronization of different models of the same objective process may be an expeditious route to improved computational modeling and may also describe the functioning of conscious brains; and (2) the nonlocality in quantum phenomena implied by Bell’s theorem may be explained in a variety of deterministic (hidden variable) interpretations if the quantum world resides on a generalized synchronization “manifold”.
- Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, CO (United States); Macedonia Academy of Sciences and Arts, Skopje (Macedonia); Univ. of Bergen, Bergen (Norway)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 17; Journal Issue: 4; Journal ID: ISSN 1099-4300
- Research Org:
- Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, CO (United States). Dept. of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences.
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 71 CLASSICAL AND QUANTUM MECHANICS, GENERAL PHYSICS synchronized chaos; synchronicity; machine perception; coherent structures; quantum nonlocality; micro-wormholes
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.