Progress towards developing neutron tolerant magnetostrictive and piezoelectric transducers
Current generation light water reactors (LWRs), sodium cooled fast reactors (SFRs), small modular reactors (SMRs), and next generation nuclear plants (NGNPs) provide harsh environments in and near the core that can severely test material performance and limit their operational life. To address this issue, several Department of Energy Office of Nuclear Energy (DOE-NE) research programs are evaluating the long duration radiation performance of fuels and materials. In To reduce the amount of Material and Test Reactor (MTR) irradiations required, DOE is also funding development of enhanced instrumentation that will be able to obtain data, with unprecedented accuracy and resolution, that are required to validate new multi-scale multiphysics modeling tools . It is not feasible to obtain such data with the current state of instrumentation technology. To address this need, PSU and collaborators have started an experiment to test the potential for utilizing ultrasonic instruments in-pile. Ultrasonic sensors must be resistant to high neutron flux, high gamma radiation, and high temperature. PSU and collaborators have designed, fabricated, and started to irradiate piezoelectric and magnetostrictive transducers designed to perform in such harsh environments. Three piezoelectric transducers were fabricated with aluminum nitride, zinc oxide, and bismuth titanate as the active element. The transducersmore »
- Pennsylvania State Univ., University Park, PA (United States). Dept. of Engineering Science and Mechanics
- Idaho National Lab. (INL), Idaho Falls, ID (United States)
- MIT (Massachusetts Inst. of Technology), Cambridge, MA (United States). MIT Nuclear Reactor Lab.
- Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States)
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Bettis Atomic Power Lab. (BAPL), West Mifflin, PA (United States). Bechtel Marine Propulsion Corp.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Resource Relation:
- Conference: Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation (QNDE),Boise, Idaho,07/20/2014,07/25/2014
- Research Org:
- Idaho National Laboratory (INL), Idaho Falls, ID (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Nuclear Energy (NE)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 46 INSTRUMENTATION RELATED TO NUCLEAR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY; Measuring Instruments; MAGNETOSTRICTION; PIEZOELECTRICITY; TEMPERATURE RANGE 0400-1000 K; TRANSDUCERS; WAVEGUIDES; Magnetostriction; Piezoelectricity; ALUMINIUM; KOVAR; WATER COOLED REACTORS; SODIUM COOLED REACTORS; Fast Reactors; NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS; NEUTRON FLUX; GAMMA RADIATION; TEST REACTORS; Aluminium Nitrides; ZINC OXIDES; BISMUTH Compounds; TITANATES; MATERIALS; PERFORMANCE; SENSORS; RESEARCH PROGRAMS; BENCHMARKS; FUELS; IRRADIATION; OPTIMIZATION; Computerized SIMULATION; TESTING In-Core Instrumentation; Material and Test Reactor; Ultrasonic
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.