Comparison of the Window-Frame RHIC-abort kicker with C-type Kicker
The high intensity proton bunches (~2.5x1011 p/bunch ) circulating in RHIC increase the temperature of the ferrite-made RHIC-abort-kickers above the Curie point; as a result, the kickers cannot provide the required field to abort the beam at the beam dump. A team of experts in the CAD department worked on modifying the design of the window-frame RHIC-abort kicker to minimize the hysteresis losses responsible for the increase of the ferrite’s temperature. In this technical note we report some results from the study of two possible modifications of the window-frame RHIC-abort kicker, and we compare these results with those of a propose C-type RHIC-abort kicker. We also include an Appendix where we describe a method which may further reduce the hysteresis losses of the window-frame kicker.
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Collider-Accelerator Dept.
- Stony Brook Univ., NY (United States)
- Westhampton High School, NY (United States)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
- BNL--106006-2014-IR; BNL--C-A/AP/524
R&D Project: KBCH139; KB0202011; TRN: US1500118
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Technical Report
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Nuclear Physics (NP) (SC-26)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 43 PARTICLE ACCELERATORS; KICKER MAGNETS; BROOKHAVEN RHIC; HEATING; FERRITE; COMPARATIVE EVALUATIONS; CURIE POINT; PROTON BEAMS; HYSTERESIS; LOSSES; DESIGN; MODIFICATIONS Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.