Neutron Diffraction Study of Parasitic Nd-Moment Order in the Checkerboard-Type Phase Nd1.3Sr0.7NiO4
In this paper, the Nd-moment order in the layered nickelate Nd2-xSrxNiO4 (x = 0.7) has been investigated by performing a neutron diffraction experiment using a single crystal sample. First, the checkerboard (CB)-type charge order was confirmed by observing the temperature dependence of the nuclear superlattice peak at Q=(5,0,0) between 1.9 and 300 K, which indicates that the transition temperature of the CB-type charge order is above 300 K. Magnetic superlattice peaks with the propagation vector k=(1-ε,0,1) appear below 67 K, and the value of ε was determined to be 0.455 in good agreement with previous studies. The intensity of the magnetic superlattice peaks appearing below 67 K shows a sharp increase below ≈20 K. This behavior indicates that the Nd moments freeze under the influence of the Ni ordering. The CB-type antiferromagnetic (AFM) Ni order in the NiO2 layers is stacked antiferromagnetically in the c-axis direction, while the Nd moments in the Nd/SrO2 layers are coupled antiferromagnetically with the Ni moments. Finally, the Nd moments are parallel to the c-axis, while the Ni moments are canted towards the c-axis direction from the basal ab-plane at low temperatures where the Nd moments are well ordered.
- Univ. of Tokyo, Tokai (Japan). Inst. for Solid-State Physics. Neutron Science Lab.
- Univ. of Tokyo (Japan). Inst. for Solid-State Physics. Neutron Science Lab.
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Quantum Condensed Matter Division
- Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA), Tokai (Japan). Materials and Life Science Division. J-PARC Center
- Univ. of Tokyo (Japan). Dept. of Applied Physics
- Univ. of Tokyo (Japan). Dept. of Applied Physics; RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science (CEMS), Wako (Japan)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Journal of the Physical Society of Japan
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 84; Journal Issue: 6; Journal ID: ISSN 0031-9015
- Physical Society of Japan
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE