Time delay measurement in the frequency domain
Pump–probe studies at synchrotrons using X-ray and laser pulses require accurate determination of the time delay between pulses. This becomes especially important when observing ultrafast responses with lifetimes approaching or even less than the X-ray pulse duration (~100 ps). The standard approach of inspecting the time response of a detector sensitive to both types of pulses can have limitations due to dissimilar pulse profiles and other experimental factors. Here, a simple alternative is presented, where the frequency response of the detector is monitored versus time delay. Measurements readily demonstrate a time resolution of ~1 ps. Improved precision is possible by simply extending the data acquisition time.
- Purdue Univ., West Lafayette, IN (United States). Dept. of Physics and Astronomy.
- Argonne National Lab., Argonne, IL (United States). Advanced Photon Source.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- SC0004078; AC02-06CH11357
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Journal of Synchrotron Radiation (Online)
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Name: Journal of Synchrotron Radiation (Online); Journal Volume: 22; Journal Issue: 5; Journal ID: ISSN 1600-5775
- International Union of Crystallography
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Laboratory, Chicago, IL (United States). Advanced Photon Source.
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 43 PARTICLE ACCELERATORS; 46 INSTRUMENTATION RELATED TO NUCLEAR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY pump-probe; X-ray synchrotron; ultrafast time resolution; RF frequency analysis