Synergistic Effects Between Phosphonium-Alkylphosphate Ionic Liquids and Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) as Lubricant Additives
Unique synergistic effects between phosphonium-alkylphosphate ionic liquids and zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) are discovered when used together as lubricant additives, resulting in significant friction and wear reduction along with distinct tribofilm composition and mechanical properties. The synergism is attributed to the 30-70× higher-than-nominal concentrations of hypothetical new compounds (via anion exchange between IL and ZDDP) on the fluid surface/interface.
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Materials Science and Technology Div.
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Energy and Transportation Science Div.
- Shell Global Solutions, Houston, TX (United States)
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Chemical Sciences Div.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Advanced Materials
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 27; Journal Issue: 32; Journal ID: ISSN 0935-9648
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States); Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE), Vehicle Technologies Office (EE-3V)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE