High temperature pre-digestion of corn stover biomass for improved product yields
Introduction: The efficient conversion of lignocellulosic feedstocks remains a key step in the commercialization of biofuels. One of the barriers to cost-effective conversion of lignocellulosic biomass to sugars remains the enzymatic saccharification process step. Here, we describe a novel hybrid processing approach comprising enzymatic pre-digestion with newly characterized hyperthermophilic enzyme cocktails followed by conventional saccharification with commercial enzyme preparations. Dilute acid pretreated corn stover was subjected to this new procedure to test its efficacy. Thermal tolerant enzymes from Acidothermus cellulolyticus and Caldicellulosiruptor bescii were used to pre-digest pretreated biomass at elevated temperatures prior to saccharification by the commercial cellulase formulation. Results: We report that pre-digestion of biomass with these enzymes at elevated temperatures prior to addition of the commercial cellulase formulation increased conversion rates and yields when compared to commercial cellulase formulation alone under low solids conditions. In conclusion, Our results demonstrating improvements in rates and yields of conversion point the way forward for hybrid biomass conversion schemes utilizing catalytic amounts of hyperthermophilic enzymes.
- National Renewable Energy Lab. (NREL), Golden, CO (United States). Chemical Biosciences Center.
- National Renewable Energy Lab. (NREL), Golden, CO (United States). National Bioenergy Center.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 1754-6834
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Biotechnology for Biofuels
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 7; Journal Issue: 1; Journal ID: ISSN 1754-6834
- BioMed Central
- Research Org:
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Golden, CO.
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE), Bioenergy Technologies Office (EE-3B)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 09 BIOMASS FUELS; 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES Chemical and Biosciences; Bioenergy; biomass; pretreatment; enzymatic hydrolysis; CelA; E1; Caldicellulosiruptor bescii; Acidothermus cellulolyticus; Thermotoga maritima