A big anniversary for an even bigger collaboration!
Ten years ago this month Science.gov was launched! The cross-agency portal was created to break down the stovepipes of science information, knowing that it is difficult to know which federal agency holds what information. Thanks to longtime relationships between the agency senior information managers of CENDI as well as a partnership with USA.gov, and with the efforts of many, many supporters, a unique and grassroots project was undertaken and still provides an important service today. A special thanks to our Science.gov Alliance co-chairs during these years: Eleanor Frierson, NAL/USDA (retired); Tom Lahr, NBII/USGS (retired); Cindy Etkin, GPO; Tina Gheen, LOC; Annie Simpson, USGS.
Some interesting Science.gov facts:
- Number of Science.gov Websites, 2002 – 90
- Number of Science.gov Websites, 2012 – 2100+
- Number of Large Databases, 2002 – 18
- Number of Large Databases, 2012 – 59
- Number of Pages Searched, 2002 – under 45 million
- Number of Pages Searched, 2012 – 200 million+
- Number of Participating Agencies, 2002 – 10
- Number of Participating Agencies, 2012 – 13
- Number of Page Views, Fiscal Year 2003 – 751,180
- Number of Page Views, Fiscal Year 2012 – 34 million+
Here is to the next ten years!